Celeb React to Meek Mill’s Prison Sentence

By: Victoria Turner

Rapper Meek Mill is being sentenced 2-4 years in prison after violating his probation. According to Billboard.com Meek Mill went to jail for the first time in 2008 for a drug and gun case, in which he served 8 months in. He has been on probation ever since. Over the years, Meek has been arrested and has violated his probation before but no time was ever served once he fulfilled his community service requirement. Which is why many are finding it confusing and unfair that Meek Mill is facing a 2-4 years sentence over a failed drug test.

The controversy over the matter comes from a tweet by The Sparrow Project that sparked it all. It expressed that Meek Mill’s sentence alone is more than that of police officers who have killed innocent black men and gone unpunished combined. This week there has been a rally of supporters expressing their thoughts using the Meek Mill hashtag on Twitter. Some of his faithful supporters include celebrities such as Jay-Z, Kevin Hart and Angie Martinez  Jay-Z explains how he supports Meek Mill and will continue to in his efforts to better his life against all odds. He sheds light on the fact that the American justice system is still unjust. Kevin Hart expressed his support through social media as well. His view was more of an uplifting one encouraging him to stay positive through his trials and tribulations. His words were, “Praying for my brother @meekmill right now. God sometimes puts the toughest battles on his strongest soldiers. I’m here for you man!!!! My brother for life…Always here for you man!!! This storm will pass…Stay strong & keep your head up.” Angie Martinez’s short yet feisty tweet focused on the her opinion that the justice system is rigged but all in all she is still keeping Meek in her prayer. Most of all Meek Mill’s supporters just want to see him get the justice he deserves in the end.