Tennis Team Set for September Debut

Published August 27, 2014

Jordan AlfordContributor

The Women’s Tennis Team did not impress a lot of people last year with its 3-17 record. But this year optimism is on the horizon with the return of four team veterans, as well as a talented freshmen recruiting class.

Bruce Myers expressed his excitement for the new season. Myers is anticipating a more competitive season than last year. “With the return of some experienced players and some incoming freshman I feel that we will be much improved,” said Myers. 

“Our season goal will be to qualify for the conference playoffs this season”. Coach Myers also expressed excitement for the Men’s Team, which will be making a return to campus this season after previously being cut by the university.

“Our Men’s Team is really young but they are talented and they each push each other to get better everyday in practice. I’m interested to see how they grow together,” said Myers.

Freshmen member of the men’s team Josh Bailey also expressed optimism about the team this year. “I don’t think we’ll have growing pains. This is our first year playing collegiate tennis since 2006, so we will lose some but I think it will be a learning experience that will help us learn and get better.”

Bailey also stated that the team chemistry is developing. “We are already really close. We go out to eat with each other and we go to the mall together. I don’t think I would have as many friends as I do if I wasn’t on the team,” said Bailey. Coach Myers seemed to have a realistic yet positive perspective on the program and how it will grow in the coming years.