No money, more problems for Miss A&T

Despite the debilitating weather, the Student Government Association Senate met for the last time for its last scheduled session this semester on Nov. 11 in Marteena Hall Auditorium, beginning promptly at 7:06 p.m. with the official call to order.

After their normal routine of roll call, reading of the meetings and opening the floor for the student body, they jumped right into the discussion over the funding for a Women’s Symposium for the student body.

It was a finance bill presented by Ngozi Opara, Miss A & T, to receive an additional $6,000 to $10,000 to fund the program “For Sisters Only.” Opara initially asked for $20,000 from the Student Government Association budget for the same program, but the Finance Committee reduced the amount to $10,000 stating in its annual budget reevaluation:

“In believing that SUAB produces most social activities on campus, they should be utilized in producing such a program that would involve the obtaining of a performer, however $10,000 has been left for the weekend event of “Sisters Only.”

The bill initially stated that the “for sisters only” program was to include a performance by Raheem Devaughn, R&B recording artist that Friday night, and Keisha Spivey, Life Coach Extraordinaire, was to speak on that Saturday. It was not clear, however, as to why these two individuals were singled out for the conference or if students specifically wanted them to come.

Constitutionally, in order for Miss A&T to receive the money that she desires for this event, the Finance Committee has it approve it first so that it can then be presented to the full Senate. However, the bill fell through because there were multiple questions that fueled their concerns for this bill.

“The bill presented by Miss A&T has been disapproved because we had a few questions about it, like why the poetry event is free and the concert that includes Raheem DeVaughn is not,” said Na-im Butler, the chair of the Finance Committee.

Although there was still some confusion left in the air, the meeting preceded with the rest of the agenda items. Miss A & T was still in opposition about the Finance Committee’s decision.

“It seems as if they have already created this mindset and they are not trying to change anything,” said Opara.

After the meeting Opara discussed her concerns, along with Senator Atilah Claiborne, to the chair of the Finance Committee about their decision.

“The Finance Committee did not make this decision alone, since we work for the students we went around and talked to them and many said they would not attend this event,” Butler said.

The Finance Committee has set meetings for each month where they review and discuss the budget.  Moreover, when they held their Finance Committee meeting prior to the Nov. 11 senate meeting Opara and Claiborne both said, “we were there and ready to present the bill but nothing happened.”

“No one has ever come to submit anything, you have to submit it at the first trial and the then the second official one,” said Mason Jones, the treasurer of the Student Government Association.

Valerie Dudley, the Vice President of Internal Affairs, is constitutionally obligated to preside over the senate. Dudley clarified the situation after both parties had their say.

“I believe that it is too late to go back because the decision has already been made, but what Miss A&T can do is create a petition and get a percentage of students to sign it and present it at a Senate meeting.”

Section 1, Article 9 states the senate is the primary law making body so any bill has to be created within the Senate. Also Section 19, Article 9 states that the introduction of the bill has to be typed and duplicated. One must go to the speaker and one given to the clerk. 

The bill must go through this process, which is organized and set up for the bill to be presented to the senate body, clerk, and speaker so it can accurately pass through, but Opara’s bill did not follow this process.

“The bottom line was there was miscommunication between the Finance Committee and Miss A & T,” said Dudley.

After Dudley clarified the situation, Opara accepted the decision of the senate, stating that she would just have the women’s conference instead.  

• Dexter Mullins & Chelsea King