What happens if a tree falls on my car while it’s parked?

There are some situations you just can’t avoid: a baseball thrown by the kid across the street dents your car’s roof, a rock kicked up by the truck driving in front of you crashes through your windshield, or a windstorm uproots a tree and it comes crashing down on your vehicle.

For situations like these, it’s a good thing you have auto insurance, but you need to make sure you have the right kind. It is comprehensive coverage that covers your vehicle for losses resulting from incidents that aren’t caused by a collision.

This type of coverage will take care of fixing your vehicle after you pay your deductible. To keep your premiums low, it is recommended that you select as high a deductible as you feel comfortable paying out of pocket.

Sounds like a good type of coverage to have, but do you really need it? Here are a few things to consider:

* If you have a newer vehicle or one in excellent condition, and it is damaged or destroyed in a freak accident, you may need comprehensive coverage to replace or repair the vehicle.

* If your car is financed or leased, the finance company will probably require that you carry comprehensive coverage.

* If you have an older car or one in poor condition, it may not be in your best interest to carry comprehensive coverage.

When seeking auto insurance quotes, be sure to take into consideration whether comprehensive coverage is something you need or not. It is the most thorough of all auto insurance policies, so it’s also the most expensive. Whereas liability typically covers only damage done to another driver’s vehicle, comprehensive coverage will likely cover both your car and the other driver’s car, even if you’re at fault in the accident.

To get an idea of how much this type of coverage will cost, you can get free auto insurance quotes online from a number of insurance companies.