Stallings and Tisdale Inducted into Hall of Fame

Vernell Stallings and Charles Tinsdale were enshrined into the North Carolina A&T State University Sports Hall of Fame on Friday, Oct. 22 at the Guilford Ballroom Sheraton Four Season Hotel.

Stallings, who graduated in 1964, started the bowling program at A&T in 1979. He also coached the team from 1979-1999. Stallings led the women’s bowling team to back-to-back MEAC championships in 1996 and 1997. Stallings also won the Coach of the Year in both years.

“It feels great,” Stallings said. “Simply great. I was speechless. I dream, but I never thought it would be a reality.”

After Stallings graduated, he earned the NACA&T Athletic Lifetime Achievement Award in 2003, Life time membership in the ACUI (Association of College Unions International), P.A.G.A. (Personal Association of Greater Greensboro) and Distinguish Alumni Award NAFEO (National Association for Equal Opportunity).

Stallings was the Associate Director for Operations for Memorial Union.

Stallings retired form A&T in 2001 and the ballroom in the Student Union were named in his honor.

Tisdale played football as the quarterback under former head coach Bill Bell.

Tisdale earned All-CIAA honorable mention within the 16 school conference. He also played track and field. Tisdale held the CIAA record for the Javelin throw.

After A&T, he joined the Army and broke more records. He was named All Army at quarterback in 1958 which he set more football records. He also held All-European records in the Javelin throw for the Allied Armed Forces.

Tisdale earned NAFEO award. He is now the Chief Executive Director of Action for Bridgeport Community Development (ABCD).

• Greg Bond