Three steps for researching a neighborhood before you move

Whether you’re moving across the country or simply across town, it’s important to know about the area you’re moving to. Here is a moving guide to help you research a new neighborhood before a move:

1. Visit government websites

A good place to start is to visit the city and county websites to learn more about where you are moving. This can give helpful background on the area’s history, current demographics and what resources are available for new residents. Feeling chatty? Give city hall a call and tell them you’re moving and want to know more about the area. You’ll likely be connected to someone who can tell you more.

2. Talk to residents

Before your move, you’re probably going to explore the area while house or apartment hunting. During your exploration, don’t be shy. Ask residents if they could tell you more about the area. Visit the local cafe or coffee shop when it’s not busy and ask the owner if he or she has any moving advice. Many people have pride in where they live and are happy to share useful pieces of information that only residents might know. Pick up the local paper to see what’s happening in the news.

3. Top insurance claims

A good way to learn more about a neighborhood is to know what the top property insurance claims are in that particular area. Research by ZIP code to learn what claims are most common. If the top claim is theft and burglary, it’s a sign that the neighborhood may have a higher level of crime. If water and wind damage hold the top spots, then weather may be an issue. After you know more about the neighborhood and claims, you can select the right amount of homeowner’s insurance tailored for your needs.

By taking these three research steps, you’ll learn more about the neighborhood where you’ll be moving and feel confident in the place you’ll call home during the next chapter of your life.