How long does it take to erase a speeding ticket from your driving record?

Are you the type of driver who has a need for speed, and puts the pedal to the metal every time you get behind the wheel? If so, you’re asking for trouble.

The likelihood of you getting into an accident, and/or getting pulled over and given a ticket is high. So are the chances that your auto insurance rates are through the roof.

According to the website www.carinsurance.com, speeding tickets and minor traffic accidents stay on your record for three years in most states, and they are public record. As such, the company that carries your car insurance policy is likely to find out about the ticket when they run a public records check before offering you a policy renewal.

While there may not be anything you can do to erase the ticket, there are steps you can take to keep the points off your record.

1. Take your case to court and challenge the ticket. If you don’t think you deserved the ticket, you can try to convince the judge to dismiss the charges against you. If the judge agrees that you were not deserving of a ticket, the points disappear automatically.

2. Elect to sign up for driving school. Many states will drop the points placed on your license if you successfully complete driving school after receiving certain types of moving violations. Another benefit of signing up for driving school is a possible reduction of the fine you have to pay.

3. Talk to a lawyer who specializes in traffic violations. This person will be aware of programs available in your jurisdiction to help reduce the impact of the points on your license.

If you’ve taken steps to get points removed from your license, be sure to bring that up when requesting car insurance quotes. Depending on the timing, the points you worked so hard to get removed from your license may end up counting against you anyway if you don’t point out the actions you’ve taken to clear your record.

Courtesy of ARAcontent