Don’t Call It a Comeback: Eminem goes “Bezerk”

Last week, Eminem released his highly anticipated single “Bezerk.” Pinned as one of the greatest lyricist and most controversial rappers ever, Eminem delivered once again. Mr. Marshall Mathers is back with his witty and crude lyrics.

During the 2013 MTV Video Music Awards Dr.Dre released a 16 second commercial to promote his Beats headphone collection and Eminem’s upcoming album “The Marshall Mathers LP 2” dropping Nov. 5, 2013. Many wonder what the MC hopes to accomplish with this album, especially because it is named after his classic masterpiece “The Marshall Mathers LP.”

The lyrical genius Eminem teamed up with Def Jam founder and legendary producer Rick Rubin. Rubin is known to bring hard-hitting rock sounds and gritty hip-hop beats together to create classics. “Bezerk” gives music heads that classic 80s hip hop feel, while providing just enough of a new school vibe to it. On YouTube, the single has already received six million views in only a week’s worth of time.

“All I know is I fell asleep and woke up in that Monte Carlo/with the ugly Kardashian /Lamar, oh sorry yo, we done both set the bar low.” Without saying names, everyone knows Mr. Shady is referring to Khloe Kardashian. Eminem is always pushing the celebrity envelope and the media loves it.

Buzz about the song has already circulated and has received mixed reviews and reactions. Eminem’s fans went “Berzerk” on social media when the song released. Most fans loved the vintage 1980s hip-hop sound. Others simply, welcomed Eminem back into the rap game. Complex magazine stated, “Bezerk, will be a success, whether people hate it or love it.” This is because of the simple fact that Eminem’s core fans will always support his music and creativity. Billboard reports that “Berzerk” is selling strong and headed for a big chart debut. “Berzerk” is projected to sell upwards of 350,000 and 375,000 downloads in its first week.

To keep the lyrics current Eminem shouts out the most talked about man in Hip Hop right now, Kendrick Lamar. “Bout to go ham, ya bish, shout out to Kendrick.” Eminem shamelessly plugs his record label mate and brings a connection to his core fans and new school fans that may not know about the real slim shady.

With a classic beat and crucial, lyrics does Eminem have a gold single on his hands? After a decade later, will the “Marshall Mathers LP 2” live up to the original?

• Catherine Singletary, Contributor