I was here

The A&T Register’s arts and entertainment editor (theSCENE), Ashley Vaughn writes her memories on the campus of A&T in her farewell piece. She will be graduating on May 12

It’s finally the end of my collegiate career. Needless to say I am overtly excited about the end, yet very anxious and somewhat scared at the same time.

The real world is waiting for me, but am I ready for the real world is a question I think most seniors are asking themselves.

Coming to A&T all the way from Indianapolis has taught me so much about myself that it makes me feel better about finally being a real adult.

I learned how it was to live away from your family, to not be able to go home every weekend and deal with the issues of life pretty much on my own.

This not only made me stronger, but it also made me deal with my weaknesses that some might try to ignore. I thank God for the strength and the many lessons learned through this exciting, challenging, memorable journey.

Going to school at A&T is nothing short of a journey. So many things have changed just from me being a freshman, but I guess college is nothing but a time frame of revolving changes.

From me being a freshman focusing on nothing but academics; to me being welcomed to the world of Greekdom my sophomore year; to junior year doing the work of school, my chapter and internships; to suffering from a severe case of senioritis and being ready to graduate my senior year.

I will always remember the struggles of living in Morrow Hall with my hilariously country roommate.

I can’t possibly forget the journey of becoming an Alpha Kappa Alpha woman and doing the work of the chapter. Never will I ever forget the many lessons I’ve learned from my linesisters, bigs and other sorors, you ladies have deeply impacted my life.

Huge thanks to the Fab 5 for always having my back and showing me what sisterhood truly means, even when I didn’t know how to accept it. I can’t wait to make more crazy memories with you girls. Distance will NEVER separate us and our bond is one only we can understand.

I also want to give a huge shoutout to the Beta Epsilon. chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc. I have gained so many big brothers that it can be hard to deal with at times. You fellas know how much you’ve enriched my life, and thanks for showing me the real meaning of Skee-Phi, Phirst Pham love.

Another shout out to the entire Divine 9, because the struggle is real!

To the number one support system a young lady could ever be blessed with, my family. No words will ever be able to rightly illustrate how grateful I am for everything you do. Not a lot of kids are blessed with parents who pay for their education, who encourage their dreams, who answer the phone no matter the hour, or are there to laugh and shake their heads at my drunken moments.

Mommy, thanks for instilling in me the qualities of a strong woman. You will always be my best friend and I thank God for you everyday.

Daddy, thanks for being the man of my life, showing me how a real man treats his wife, raises his family and provides for the household; thanks for always allowing me to be Daddy’s little girl.

To Austin, I’m proud of you and continue to be the man I know you have the potential of being. To my Black Ice, thanks for being my other half when I needed you to be, and accepting my flaws but bringing out my smile and happiness.

To the staff, there have been too many long nights, not enough laughs, yet just enough time for us to build a family bond. Thanks for helping me build on my talent and help me realize my true potential.

To A&T, thanks for being the best HBCU in the world! Thanks for being my home away from home.

You have truly enriched my life in ways I will tell my children about one day. Aggie Pride is something that lives within the air of this institution, I just hope it still is as strong 15 years from now.

Thanks for the laughs, tears, and moments to those who have been in my life these last couple of years.

Everyone comes in your life for a reason. We don’t always have to know those reasons, just be glad each moment has happened. And with that being said, I am done being sappy, for the last time on the pages of The Register…

AGGIE PRIDE!

[email protected]

And follow us on Twitter

@ATRegister

• Ashley Vaughn, Scene Editor