Student’s death results in tighter security

According to University Relations, freshman chemical engineering student Dorian Tawan Edwards, 19 of Wilson, N.C. passed away on Oct. 19.

Allegedly Edwards was shot at a party in Sebastian Village following a disagreement. No arrests have yet been made.

“Honestly, Dorian was the most blunt person I know,” said Percy Archie, junior english creative writing student from High Point, N.C. “He was straightforward. He didn’t deal with drama. He was never a hot-headed person, he always wanted to protect everyone.”

Greensboro Police are still investigating the incident and pursuing leads. GPD is currently interviewing people who knew the victim and those who were at the party.

“Those are our best witnesses at this point and we are pursuing any leads that may help us identify the person who shot Mr. Edwards,” said Susan Danielsen, public information officer. “Of course we always encourage anyone with information to give our crime stoppers a call. It is completely anonymous and you can receive an award up to $2,000.”

“It seemed like everyone was confused and surprised,” said Tiana Saunders, senior sports science student. Rachel Shikmut, a junior applied mathematics student also recalls the event as well, “My roommate woke me up and said they were shooting outside.” Saunders and Shikmut, both neighbors to the crime scene, went outside and was told that the victim was shot and had fallen from the second floor.  

“I’m nervous I don’t feel safe. I feel like Sebastian should have cameras underneath the breeze way,” said Keana Graham, senior landscape architect student and roommate of Saunders.

Shikmut who knows the victim from Marteena Hall, a common place for mathematics and engineering students, described the victim as “cool.”

Aggies are fired up, and ready to celebrate GHOE; However, safety is essential on and off campus.

“We want to make sure everybody has a fun and, most importantly, safe time while they’re here,” said Danielsen. “A lot of people have good memories in Greensboro from when they were in college and we don’t want those memories tarnished because something bad happened.”

During homecoming week, security will be tight. The University Police Department as well as the Greensboro Police Department plans to buckle down. Aggies should adhere to all safety rules and precautions. Aggies are also advised to use extra precaution during homecoming week.

“We always encourage people to take basic safety tips such as be aware of your surroundings,” Danielsen said.  “If something doesn’t feel right, if your gut tells you something is unsafe go to a place that is safe. All of those tips that your mother probably taught you; don’t drink and drive. Don’t let your friends drive drunk. That’s saving lives. It’s really all about everybody looking out for each other.”

University Police compiled a list of crime prevention tips for homecoming 2014 such as;

Keeping your room and suite door locked at all times, record serial numbers of computers, cell phones, game systems, iPods, iPads, etc. and keep them in a safe place. Use tracking devices for cell phones and computers. At social events, drink only from sealed containers. Avoid punch bowls. Do not allow someone else to prepare your drink out of your presence. You must be 21 years old to consume alcohol. Know your limit. Don’t drink and drive.Call campus police when you notice suspicious activity.

Have a safe and happy homecoming !

—Email Mija at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @heelson_check

• Mija Gary Register Reporter