Greensboro store offers vintage styles

A classic design with classic apparel: Design Archives is a vintage consignment shop owned by Kit Rodenbough. The store first opened in 2001 on East Market Street; in 2007, it relocated to Tate Street near UNCG.

Clothes that would remind you of “The Wonder Years” or “The Brady Bunch” fill the racks located throughout the middle of the pink and white tiled floor. The blue walls bordered with a sea-foam, green hold hanging dresses as well as a couple of manikins perched upon suspended platforms. High shelves display lamps, artwork and other vintage items.

The store is lit with stage lights pointing in different directions in addition to the light from the front windows giving it an old-fashioned feel.

When you walk in, you feel as if you have gone back in time. Old school rock plays in the background as you make your way through the collection.

Besides clothes, there are pieces of jewelry, a selection of shoes, old vinyl records, leather purses and pocketbooks, broaches and much more dating as far back as the early 1900’s.

A lot of what this place has to offer you probably wouldn’t find anywhere else. This is a great place to find old items that you might need for a play or classic production.

Items include antique dishes, warm blankets, decorative mugs, vintage luggage, suitcases and more.

In the back left corner, there are two dressing rooms with sheets/curtains as doors waiting for customers and giving the store an old feel.

When I visited the store on Thursday afternoon around 4 p.m., it was not crowded nor did a lot of people come in or go out. Even though the store is not 100% vintage, anything modern has a classic look and style to it.

The clothes are not new, but they are well taken care of and have been kept in good-condition. There was a young lady in the front of the store sewing and ironing clothes that may have come in damaged. The clothes were nothing less than authentic, though they were priced very reasonably for worn clothing.

Materials such as real fur, alligator, snakeskin and genuine leather were among the selections.

The store also carried items such as plaid bellbottoms to crocheted hats. It seemed as if just when I thought I’d seen everything, I found another antique surprise sitting somewhere in the store. Mood rings, platform shoes, a Mickey Mouse fork…what didn’t it have?

Design Archives may not be the usual store with numerous people going in and out or several workers on the floor asking if you need assistance, but Rodenbough has managed to attract unique customers with the unique selection of pieces in her store.

So, if you’re looking for hidden treasures or just something old-fashioned to add to this new era of style,Design Archives is the place to go.

It’s located at the intersection of Tate Street and Walker Avenue between The Space and Tate St. Coffee House. The store is open from 10:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. Monday through Saturday and from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. Sundays.

For more information call (336) 272-1800 or visit the website athttp://www.shopdesignarchives.com.

• Stacie Bailey