When is it time for a logo redesign?

Any good business owner knows that your business must constantly evolve and improve to stay relevant. One thing that should not be forgotten in your evolution is your logo.

For various reasons, you may want to consider a redesign of your business logo. The following are some suggestions from the logo design professionals at Logo Mojo on when it may be time to think about a logo facelift:

* You haven’t thought seriously about your logo. For some new business owners, company logos are cobbled together quickly, often by friends or family, or become an afterthought because they are working hard to get their enterprises off the ground. After you’ve established yourself, it’s a good time to revisit your logo and see if it clearly represents your mission. If you’re ready to take your business to the next level, it might be wise to invest in a professional service to take your logo from “it’ll do” to “it’s amazing.”

* Your logo looks dated. While the old logos on soda cans have made a comeback recently, they didn’t acquire their vintage status overnight. They were eventually replaced because they weren’t appropriate for the times. If your logo looks like something that would have been popular a decade ago, it’s probably time for a fresh look.

* Your identity has changed. There’s a good chance you aren’t offering the exact products or services you were when your original logo was designed. Your logo should reflect your roots, but it should also reflect the present and future of your business.

* Your logo could use simplification. If you look at the evolution of most major businesses’ logos, most of the time you’ll notice that their logo becomes simpler and more distinguished with each redesign. If you have a good start on a logo, accentuate its best and clearest aspects. Another aspect of simplification can involve reducing the numbers of colors and/or fonts used to make it easier for various printing and promotional applications.

* Create attention. You might not think you need to change your logo, but if you are looking for something to get your business noticed, a logo redesign can do the trick and get your customers talking. Proceed with care though: you don’t want to end up with a less effective logo.

* Celebration. As companies mature, many are turning to “special event” logos that help them recognize their history. Anniversary logos, seasonal logos or special event logos are ways of taking your core look and taking it in some fresh, new directions.