Oustanding coverage of the grand opening of The Civil Rights Center & Museum

Congratulations on your outstanding coverage of the grand opening of The International Civil Rights Center & Museum on Feb. 1, 2010.

Your centerfold layout of photographs is a true collectors item. The reporting is top notch and exemplary of the high standards set by the editorial staff of The A&T Register for the past 80 years.

The Feb. 3, 2010 edition is one that you should be very proud of. I also attended the grand opening of the museum. As I stood in the cold, it was gratifying to see so many young faces in the crowd. It reminded me of when I was a student at North Carolina A&T and I, along with many other students, stood at that very same site some 50 years ago. What we did was not done in vain and the many young faces in the crowd will carry on the legacy. There is still some more work to be done in the civil rights arena.  As a people, we may be free but we are not yet equal. We must keep our eyes on the prize of equality.

As I stood among the crowd, I recalled the words of Dr. King just before he was slain. King said even though he may not get there with us, he had been to the mountaintop and had seen the Promised Land. As I looked upon the young faces in the crowd, I agreed with Dr. King, I may not get there with them but I have been to the mountaintop. 

Equality is just over the hill and the day will come when we will be free and equal. Thanks to the young faces that I saw at the opening of the museum, the dream will continue. Let us keep hope alive! Keep up the good work. 

Pollard Stanford is a North Carolina A&T graduate of 1961

• Pollard Stanford