College students behaving as highschool students

College students complain about their professors treating them like high school students, but sometimes they behave like high school students.

When did disrespecting teachers become okay? How many times have you blatantly had your cell phone out in class? Do we even try to “sneak” to use our cell phones anymore? Let us not forget the students who talk throughout the entire class period. This behavior has become the norm in some classes, leaving some to think that this behavior is “okay.”

There are three main forms of disrespectful behavior in high school. Cell phone users, rude students, and the outrageous talkers. The cell phone users are not the usual “send a quick response and put your phone away” type of people. These individuals have their phones on their desk the entire class period.  They are openly texting, or liking pictures on Instagram. Some people get offended when professors ask them to put their phone away when it should not have been out in the first place. The professor should be the person offended in this situation. This indicates that the individual does not care about what he or she is trying to teach. How would you feel if you were speaking to someone and they are glued to their phone screen during the entire conversation?

Secondly, there are rude students. They are usually disrespectful for unknown reasons. Why take your frustration out on a professor who simply asked you a question? Everyone has problems, but people should not be subjected to your issues.  

Finally, there are the outrageous talkers. These are the students that talk throughout the class period and disturb the class. The professor constantly has to interrupt the class to address this person.  

Most people are guilty of doing something that they should not be doing in class. However, the problem is when it becomes “okay.” Going to college is not only a place to learn academics but to prepare for the work force. Would you text during a meeting at a job? Would you be rude to your manager because you do not understand something they said? Would you talk to someone else while your boss is speaking to you?

Unfortunately these are examples of  extremes that students experience in class on a daily basis. Although we complain about these behaviors, how many times have you been “that person?” Professors may treat students like they are in high school, but their behavior is deemed necessary to deal with the extreme behaviors of students.

In college, students are afforded the opportunity to make choices. Would you attend a school that has no behavioral standards? Would you attend a college where professors were “okay” with people talking through class, sending text messages and laughing out loud during a lecture? No, most students would feel like their money has been wasted because the professor could not control the class because of inconsiderate students. The classroom is a learning environment, and should be treated as such.

College students should behave on a collegiate level. As adults, the respect that is practiced everyday should also be used in the classroom. Students should behave like they want to be treated. It’s simple. If you want to be treated like an adult, behave like one. How can teachers do their job if we do not allow them to?

—Email Keene-Ann at [email protected] and follow us on Twitter @theatregister

• Keene-Ann James