Letter to the A&T Register

It has come to my attention that private student loan companies are forcing Congress and America to choose between providing a new direction to help all of us achieve the American dream and subsidizing those companies that have taken advantage of college students for years.

As *your* representation on Capitol Hill, I felt that it is my job to inform our student body on this injustice and provide ways for us to act on this matter. Sallie Mae has hired powerful lobbyists in an attempt to block President Obama’s plan to make Pell grants dependable for students and working families. Many students at our illustrious university are recipients of Pell Grants and another federal financial aid programs.

If this budget is not passed by Congress, next year hundreds of students will not be able to experience Aggie Pride simply because the money is not there to fund their education.In the past year, while students have been drowning in debt, Sallie Mae awarded its chief executive $4.6 million in cash and stock and its vice chairman more than $13.2 million in cash and stock, including the use of a company plane.

We cannot continue to allow students and their families to take out loans from private companies that push students further into debt with few options for making affordable payments.

We support the president in making a commitment to passing a federal budget that bolsters Pell grants, not private loan companies.

You can do something by calling Senator Kay Hagan at (888) 299-1447 and let her know that Aggies are in support of this matter and she should be too.In the Essence of Aggie Pride,Aryn BusseyUnited States  Students Association

• Aryn Bussey