Aggies take down Pirates

Janay Boone- Sports Editor

North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University’s football team bounced back in the second half to beat the Pirates of Hampton University at the Aggie Stadium 31-14.

The Aggies (5-2, 2-1 MEAC) snapped an eight game losing streak to the Pirates (1-5, 0-2 MEAC), who they have not defeated since 2003.

It was also a homecoming for N.C. A&T Hall of Fame member and current Hampton Head Coach Connell Maynor.

Maynor won a MEAC title for the Aggies in 1991 and was a two-time MEAC Offensive Player of the Year.

The Aggies are coming off of their first shutout loss in two years to South Carolina State last week at the Atlanta Classic.

Running back Tarik Cohen tied the game with a 68-yard pass to Hasaan Klugh with 14:45 in the second quarter. Cohen finished the game with 155 rushing yards, 81 receiving yards. Klugh added 167 yards and touchdown on 13-for-17 passing.

Freshman Marquell Cartwright opened the third quarter with a 2-yard run, tying the game at 14 after a seven minute drive.

Klugh completed 13-of-17 (76%) for 167 yards passing with a touchdown in N.C. A&T’s 31-14 win over Hampton. “He is so calm. But I want to see a little more authority,” said Aggies Head Coach Rod Broadway.

A 60-yard run from Cohen at the 3:04 mark gave the Aggies a 20-14 lead over the Pirates. Hampton’s Jaylin Williams was 16-for-26 with an interception that helped the Pirates advance to the Aggies 41-yard line.

Nose guard Marquis Ragland gave the Aggies a 1st-and-10 from the 40 after putting away Williams on a quarterback sneak. Williams was then sacked and had the ball forced out of his hands.

Freshman linebacker Joshua Patrick also recovered the ball at the Aggies 35 with 8:24 remaining in the game.

“I am especially proud of my coaches and players for the win against Hampton, after a short week and two games to prepare for. Mentally, I was concerned about the physical part of the game,” said Broadway.

Senior Desmond Lawrence scored on a 68-yard run. Klugh’s pass for two points was good to Dequan Swann, giving N.C. A&T a 28-14 lead with 14:47 left in the game. A 23-yard field goal from kicker Cody Jones at the 3:53 made the score 31-14.

Defensive Back Marquis Boyan led the Aggies with eight solo tackles, while Ragland added the key fourth down stop, eight tackles and 1.5 tackles for loss.

Next, the Aggies will face Delaware State on Saturday, Oct.18 in Dover, Del.

—Email Janay at jlboone@
aggies.ncat.edu and follow her on Twitter @Ayo_IsThatBoone