The T.O.T.A.L. Experience

At midnight April 23rd, following the final Board of Trustees meeting of the academic year, Student Government Association President-Elect Wayne Kimball Jr. will officially take office for the 2010-2011 term. Kimball defeated Darrick Pettiford last Wednesday.

The Roanoke Rapids native campaigned about boosting campus unity and campus moral through a platform he calls the T.O.T.A.L. (The Only True Aggie Life) Experience, under which the TOTAL Timeline, Decisions Delivered, and the Talented Tenth Takeover.

“This is definitely something that I’m very excited about,” said Kimball, a junior civil and biological engineering major. “When I came in as a freshman I looked at the position of SGA President as something I wanted to do – not for the name, not for the position, not for the perks – but because I do feel like I’m a leader and I can help move the campus forward.”

Helping the SGA president-elect move the campus forward will be his newly elected executive board consisting of Raymond Beamon as Vice-President of Internal Affairs, Christian Robinson as Vice-President of External Affairs, Christina Garrett as Treasurer, Janae Brown as Secretary, Todd Porter as Mr. A&T, and Carla Saunders as Miss A&T.Saunders, a junior agricultural education major, found herself on the ballot twoWednesdays in a row before defeating Tiffany Flood in a run-off election on March 31st.

“The campaign was very exciting because I had an opportunity to meet a lot of students I didn’t know and expand upon the relationships I already had with some students by having them help me fulfill the vision I have for the university,” said Saunders. “Aggie Pride isn’t the same as it was in 1960. We aren’t going through the same trails and tribulations.”

“However, we still need Aggie Pride, but we don’t have anything to really bring it together. With unity and mentorship people will feel like they have more of a purpose. Receiving mentorship and giving mentorship gives you purpose, which will also, ultimately, give us the Aggie Pride that the campus needs.”

Although relatively smooth in comparison to last year’s presidential situation, the elections did not come without a level of controversy.

Beamon’s incumbent opponent, Valerie Dudley, was originally re-elected to her position of VPIA before being disqualified.

“It definitely was a different situation,” said Beamon, a junior physical education major. “I technically lost, but my opponent got disqualified, so I replaced her for the position. I’m ready to work.”

According to Porter, the newly-elected Mr. A&T, most of his work will be focused on elevating the standards by which black males on this campus are both perceived and judged.

“Being an African-American male is already hard,” said Porter. “We have to do what a Caucasian male has to do times two. My responsibility will be to serve as that example for the males on-campus.”

Robinson, the VPEA-elect, plans to focus his attention beyond the campus.

“I plan to strengthen the A&T relationship with the community and other colleges and universities,” said Robinson. “VPEA’s in the past have focused on homecoming. I plan to do homecoming to and do a good job at that, but also just more campus outreach.”

• Dexter R. Mullins