News Briefs

Kappas Shine At Province Meeting

From April 7-10 the Alpha Nu Chapter along with other local chapters hosted the 64th Annual Middle Eastern Province Meeting for Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc. According to the fraternity’s National President Samuel C. Hamilton, the meeting was one of the most successful and productive provincial meetings he had attended in a long time.

Along with conducting fraternity business, the Alpha Nu Chapter undoubtedly shined during the meeting, winning every award obtainable.

The awards won were: the H. H. Holloway Award, for exceptional record keeping and reporting; the Middle Eastern Province Expansion Award; the Kappa Kuiz Bowl Championship; the Middle Eastern Province Scholarship awarded to new Spring 2005 initiate, Cory Caldwell; the Undergraduate Kappa Man of the Year awarded to Alpha Nu Chapter President Rico Beans; and the Middle Eastern Province Undergraduate Chapter of the Year. Alpha Nu Chapter Vice President Justin Neal said, “We set goals at the beginning of the year, and we were diligent in achieving those goals. Kappas are all about achievement.”

-information submitted by: Brandon Dillahunt of the Alpha Nu Chapter Member

AKAs Recognized at Conference

The Alpha Phi Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. attended the 52nd Mid-Atlantic regional conference April 7-10, which was held in Fayetteville, N.C. The Mid-Atlantic region is composed of North Carolina and the Northern Western Virginia area.

“Around the World with Alpha Kappa Alpha” was the theme for the undergraduate luncheon awards ceremony. Joi Bass, junior manufacturing systems major won a scholars research award along with five other recipients. Her research topic was “Mapping the Campus of the North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University by Integrating Geographical Information Systems with Global Positioning Systems and comparing the Data to Manual Data.

Akilah Thompson, senior accounting and economics major received a distinguished award for having the highest GPA in the region. Thompson currently has a 4.0 cumulative GPA.

The chapter as a whole also received several accolades for having the highest chapter GPA and for having the highest attendance at the conference. The chapter was also recognized for having the largest amount of academic all-stars. The Alpha Phi Chapter had 39 members recognized for having a 3.5 GPA or higher.

After the presentation of the undergraduate awards, the Mid-Atlantic region pronounced Gwendolyn Highsmith-Quick as the graduate advisor of the year. Highsmith- Quick is an accounting professor and is also the graduate advisor for Alpha Phi Chapter.

She received this prestigious honor for submitting reports in a timely manner to the regional director, offering tutoring and serving as positive role model to the ladies of the Alpha Phi Chapter. The chapter hopes to continue to prevail in upholding high scholastic achievements.

-information submitted by: Patrice Withers of the Alpha Phi Chapter Member

Alphas Help Clean environment

On April 9, the Beta Epsilon. Chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. and the A&T biology department cleaned up Muddy Creek, a portion of Buffalo Creek that runs through Riverwalk Apartments.

The community service event lasted from 9:30-11 a.m. Dr. Godfrey Uzochukwu, director of the Waste Management Institute, was also in attendance.]

The Interdisciplinary Waste Management Institute was created in 1994 to help solve health issues within the community.The Beta Epsilon. Chapter and Dr. Uzochukwu are pictured to the left.

Outstanding Faculty

Dr. Michael J. Roberto

After demonstrating a strong interest in and commitment to internationalizing A&T’s and its curriculum, Dr. Michael J. Roberto, assistant history professor, was selected to receive a fellowship funded by the ExxonMobil Foundation. The fellowship will allow Robertoto to participate in the Council on International Educational Exchange (CIEE) 2005 International Faculty Development Seminar in Belgium from June 5-13.

Mable Scott

Mable Scott was named the new host ofA&T’s community affairs program “A&T Today, The Radio Edition.” The show will air live each Wednesday from 2 -2:30 p.m. on WNAA-FM Radio 90.1. Scott serves as N.C. A&T associate vice chancellor for development and university relations.

Dr. Quiester Craig

Dr. Quiester Craig, dean of A&T’s school of business and economics, was selected to receive the 2005 Milton Wilson Dean Excellence Award. The award will be given to Craig at the3rd annual National HBCU Schools of Business Summit on June 5-7 in New Orleans. The award was named in honor of Wilson, the only dean to receive AACS International accreditation for two HBCU business schools, Howard and Texas Southern University.In 2004, the business and economics half of the General Classroom building was named in honor of Craig.

• Chad Roberts