More women hitting the road on motorcycles

When you hit the road on a beautiful summer day, you’re probably going to see at least a couple of motorcycles – or maybe you’ll be riding one yourself. In recent years, the number of people traveling by motorcycle instead of by car has increased dramatically. And while the vast majority of motorcycle owners today are still men, things are changing, and changing quickly.

According to a July 2010 report on NBC’s Today Show, 1 in 10 motorcycle owners are now women. In fact, the Motorcycle Safety Foundation reports women make up nearly 30 percent of students in its basic rider courses program.

In addition to yourself and your friends and neighbors, many of your favorite female celebrities are riding motorcycles these days as well. Among them: Queen Latifa, Wynonna Judd, Niki Taylor, Joan Jett, Elizabeth Taylor, Tanya Tucker, Molly Culver, Lauren Hutton (the original vice-president of the Guggenheim Museum Motorcycle Club), Cher, Catherine Bell, Charlize Theron, KD Lang, Angelina Jolie, Pink, Alanis Morrisette and Courtney Cox.

Why are so many women riding these days? Among the biggest draws are empowerment and freedom, saving money on gas and pure pleasure, according to a recent Motorcycle Industry Council owner survey.

But along with the pleasure of the wind in your face, and the beauty of your surroundings close at hand, comes responsibility. It may be wise to have adequate motorcycle insurance before hitting the open road.

Among the motorcycle insurance coverage options generally available to you: liability, collision, comprehensive, uninsured/underinsured motorist, personal injury protection (PIP) and medical payments coverage. If you have an older bike, or will be traveling far from home, you may also want to consider purchasing roadside assistance and towing coverage. You never know when one of these coverages will come in handy during a ride.

So what are some of the most popular rides according to the ladies? Making their way through any of the beautiful parks from Arcadia National Park to Yellowstone National Park, and traveling along world famous Route 66, to name a few.