Painting the Town Pink:

In the wake of the 25th anniversary of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, Center City Park in downtown Greensboro became celebration for life Friday in its first “Pink Out,” commemorating the women who are battling and who have survived breast cancer.

Sponsored by the Greensboro News & Record, the event saw downtown Greensboro adorned with pink for the festivities and fundraising for local breast cancer foundations. In celebration of the day, the local newspaper was printed entirely in pink in honor of the thousands of women around the nation who are affected by breast cancer.

Downtown was ablaze with pink balloons, and a handful of men walking proudly with pink t-shirts.  Women, regardless of age, ethnicity or walk of life were together for the common cause of raising awareness of the pain that devastates the lives of thousands of women around the nation each year.

The event was marked with games, food, and donations that went to local breast cancer foundations. Josephus III, a spoken word artist who performs at Center City Park almost every first Friday of each month, entertained those in attendance.  The performances included a wide range of entertainment: variations of free-form dancing, beat boxing, and spoken word poetry.

“Poetry is the art form of communication, so it’s always important to use [poetry] to communicate positive things, negative things, trials and tribulations, just overall life experiences,” Josephus said.

“[Pink Out Friday] is all about getting people to share their stories; it’s about making people aware of what’s going on in people’s lives in support of the community.”

“The proceeds and donations from this event are going to women in the area who are uninsured to get mammograms,” said Alana Allen, an independent public relations consultant for Josephus.

“We want to raise the awareness and celebrate the lives of women who fought cancer.”

“Early detection is the key,” News & Record circulation director Regina Howard Glaspie.

“We’re encouraging women everywhere to get mammograms and we’re making contributions to the foundations with the proceeds we make today.”

“Our goals are to connect to the community, talk about the disease, and celebrate those who’ve survived, and allow those who lost their loved ones to celebrate that person who are no longer with them,” says Glaspie.

She stressed to The A&T Register the importance of breast cancer awareness. “The purpose of this event is to educate people that breast cancer is a curable disease.” 

• Derek Lineberger