ALD inducts 139 new members

On Sunday, April 11 some of the brightest freshmen at North Carolina A&T gathered for a very special recognition.

These students, who represent the top 20 percent of their class in academics, were being bestowed with membership into the Alpha Lambda Delta National Honor Society for First Year Students.

Founded in 1924, the purpose of ALD is to encourage academic excellence and pay tribute to those who excel in the classroom during their tenure as a first year student, while providing an outlet for community service and outreach.   All perspective members are to finish their first semester with a 3.5 or higher GPA.

The program, which took place in Exhibit Hall in the Memorial Student Union, began roughly around 3 p.m. with a processional that featured majority of the 139 inductees. 

Sandrea Williamson, assistant director of the Honors program and the ALD advisor said,

“This is the largest group I’ve inducted at once”. 

The room was packed and the walls were lined with over 300 family members and friends who traveled from all over the country to witness in the special occasion. 

After the invocation was given by the 2009-2010 ALD Vice President, Chukwuemeka Anazia, the organization’s history was presented by outgoing secretary, Genell Bond.

Once the preliminaries were out of the way, it was time to honor the students who had worked hard and diligently in the classroom in the past year. 

Former e-board members read the names of the initiates and one by one each came up to receive their pins, certificates, and sign their names to officially become members of the North Carolina A&T Chapter of Alpha Lambda Delta Honor Society for First Year Students.

The presentation of awards and accolades did not bring the evening to an end. A special honorary ALD membership was given to Chancellor Harold Martin who unfortunately, couldn’t be in attendance.

Another recognition, the Marva Watlington Award, was received by graduating seniors, Leon White and Morika Williams. These ALD members tied for the high honor due to their outstanding service and leadership within the community since their induction.  This year’s Mariah Leonard Award recipient, which honors the graduating ALD member with the highest GPA, was Ranette Goodwyn, who has maintained a 4.0 GPA.

Before the event convened with remarks from Director of the Honors Program, Dr. Ray Davis, newly elected chapter President, Stanley Cantrell took to the podium.  During his speech he roused the crowd with encouraging words of promise and support as he leads the organization into the next school year.  

Outgoing ALD president, sophomore Joel Williamson, was impressed by his successor’s words, especially when it came to the idea of using ALD as a vehicle to help bring struggling peers to the same level of academic excellence. 

Williamson said, ” I just want to hold him to his words and I look forward to seeing some programs on that [issue]”.  Stanley won’t be alone in making his goals reality.

His fellow e-Board member, Tiffanie Smith, a freshman Computer Engineering Major and ALD treasurer, shared in his vision for the group. “Although this is my first time holding an e-board position at the University, I’m looking forward to working with Stanley and everyone else in ALD to make this organization the best it can be.”

• Charles Johnson