Do students know the importance of our institution’s history?

We have now entered another Black History Month. Usually, this month is full of campus programs, students studying iconic figures, and tweets full of black history facts.

Unfortunately, these activities usually last no longer than two weeks. As Aggies, this is a time where we can critically analyze our history as a college and also our current condition as an institute.

We all know that our homecoming is well known and the engineering field is thriving—but what else does our campus have to offer, and what type of legacy do we truly possess?

I am sure both questions would vary depending on who you ask. In November, The Black History Club stood behind the Student Union and asked students if they knew who Willie Grimes was, and how he lost his life.

The majority of the students either did not know who he was, or did not realize there was a statue commemorating his life right in front of them. Black History Club E-Board member, Masu Fahnbulleh, says “I think the question we need to ask ourselves is as a black historical institute, have we failed in teaching all forms of black excellence that our campus has encountered?”

In 1969, there was a three day confrontation between A&T students, and the Greensboro Police Department and over 600 National Guardsmen. This is a part of our history that may not be “pleasant,” but is important for students to know.

Struggles like these show that Aggies have always fought back in more ways than one—and the fact that many students say that they are unfamiliar with the name “Willie Grimes” is alarming.

While A&T is moving towards a transition as an institution, it is important that we clench on to our history, and are able to reveal these events from our own mouths. If we are unable to feed the information to our people, then someone else will and most likely distort our history.

“History is not everything, but it is a starting point. History is a clock that people use to tell their political and cultural time of day. It is a compass they use to find themselves on the map of human geography. It tells them where they are but more importantly, what they must be.”

Historian John Henrik Clarke understood the power of knowing your own history. Over the years there have been many suggestions on how to retain our legacy as a black institution. A&T Student, Kamal Bell, says that “by bringing more accredited speakers and recognizing the black influence in history” will need to be one of our first steps in creating this development on campus.

North Carolina A&T State University has a rich history. As students, we must take it upon ourselves to maintain the legacy that has been created.

We do not need to be a top ranked institution in our state, with a failing graduation rate. We are much better than that. Nevertheless, while our institution is in constant change, let us not forget about our communities, our trials—and our pride as black men and women.

—Email Devin at [email protected] and follow us on Twitter @theatregister

• Devin Mcallister, Contributor