Motorcycles and helmets: A new push for federal laws

It’s a controversy that has been debated in state legislatures across the country. Should motorcycle riders be forced to wear helmets?

The following states require all motorcycle riders to wear helmets, according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety: Alabama, California, Georgia, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Oregon, Tennessee, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia and the District of Columbia.

The National Traffic Safety Board now wants to make a helmet law universal across the country. Helmets were added to its “most wanted list” in November to increase motorcycle safety after the number of motorcycle crashes doubled between 1997 and 1998. The board is asking all states to create “helmets required” laws for all riders.

Illinois, Iowa and New Hampshire are the three states that don’t have any laws pertaining to motorcyclists wearing helmets – all the other states not listed have laws restricting either younger drivers or passengers to wear helmets as part of the motorcycle riding gear requirements.

In a study conducted of 900 motorcycle crashes in the Los Angeles area, the most deadly injuries to the accident victims were found to be injuries to the chest and head.

If you’re heading out on a bike this summer, make sure you check the laws in your state to determine if a helmet is needed. And if you plan on crossing state lines, make sure you review the other state’s laws, because they may be different than what you are used to.

In addition to wearing a helmet, consider spending money on leather motorcycle jackets, non-slip gloves, leather pants and sturdy ankle-high boots for extra security. These extra layers can help protect you if you were to get into a crash on your bike.

Riding a motorcycle opens you up to intimately experiencing the open road. And practicing good motorcycle safety while enjoying the scenery can help protect you in case something were to happen while you’re on the back of a bike.