Horror flick delivers a first-class haunting

If you’re still feeling a little nostalgia from the holiday of ghouls and goblins, despite the fact that Halloween has passed, then you may enjoy the supernatural horrors of Paranormal Activity.

Paranormal Activity is the first feature film from writer/director Oren Peli, and stars Katie Featherston and Micah Sloat.

Peli does a fantastic jobof building suspense throughout the movie and drawing the audience into the story with the amateurish filming style that gives viewers the first-person perspective, reminiscent of movies such as Cloverfield and The Blair Witch Project.

Even if you compare it to what Blair Witch did 10 years ago, Paranormal Activity sets a whole new level to the suspense-thriller genre.

After Katie (character name or actor’s name???) and her boyfriend, Micah, move into their new home, they begin to experience some unease as strange noises are heard and other disturbances occur around their home at night.

Katie, believing that she has been plagued by some demonic spirit since her childhood, seeks advice from a psychic to aid them.

Micah, on the other hand, is convinced that the noises are nothing more than some kids playing pranks or some other simple explanation and decides to document all happenings in the home with his new video camera. 

When the cameras begin filming, it is revealed that some invisible force really is haunting the happy couple and it won’t stop until it gets what it comes for.

Believing that the spirit will only continue to follow her no matter where she goes, Katie refuses to leave the house.

With undeniable proof on film, Micah is finally convinced that the spirits are real and he develops a fascination with the supernatural and tries to experiment with anything from baby powder to sound surveillance.

Against the advice of the psychic, he even makes an attempt (and succeeds) in communicating with the spirit via an Ouija board.

As the couple continues to document all of the strange happenings within their home armed with nothing but their handy camcorder, it kind of leaves you to wonder why they never consider investing in a shotgun for protection or at least a Bible to ward off evil spirits.

While the first half of the movie makes you aware that what torments the couple is something supernatural, it’s the final scene that makes you really want to jump, cringe, pray and even wonder “Was it all real?”

Paranormal Activity has proven to truly haunt the memories of viewers and leaves them wanting to tell every second of the plot to their friends.

The low-budget horror flick, which has held its spot as the number-one movie in America for the past two weeks, only started playing in a few theaters when it was first released but due to popular demand it is now shown in theaters across America.

For anyone looking for a good scare, this film is well worth the ticket price and the loss of sleep.

• Marcus Thompson