Rashid to fill the V.C. position for interim period

North Carolina A&T State University Chancellor Harold L. Martin Sr. appointed Judy Nazirah Rashid as interim vice chancellor for Student Affairs to replace Vice Chancellor Sullivan A. Welborne Jr., who is retiring Feb. 5, according to a university press release.

Effective Monday, Feb. 8, Rashid will serve on the Chancellor’s Senior Cabinet and lead the Division of Student Affairs.

The national search for a permanent replacement is nearing its completion.

“Dr. Sullivan Welborne has been an excellent role model, mentor and leader in the Division of Student Affairs,” Marin said.

“He is well respected and loved by our university family and the Triad community for his years of dedicated service to young people.”

“We are quite fortunate to have an experienced student affairs professional like Dr. Judy Rashid to step in and provide a smooth transition,” said Martin.

Currently Rashid is the Associate Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs–Dean of Students, and is a 1974 graduate from A&T.

Rashid has been involved in education for the last 36 years as a former teacher, school principal, residence hall administrator, Memorial Student Union program director, and negotiation and conflict resolution teacher.

She is a senior student affairs officer with the Association for Student Conduct Administration (ASCA) and a member of the N.C. Bar Association (Dispute Resolution Section), the Association for the Study of Higher Education, College Student Educators International (ACPA), People to People International, and the Association for Conflict Resolution.

She has received many recognitions including the 2006 Educator of the Year Award by the Greensboro Commission on the Status of Women; Who’s Who Among America’s Teachers for 2004 and 2005; the 2002 Carolina Peacemaker’s Greensboro 100 List of movers, Shakers, and Makers; and the Outstanding Administrator of the Year for N.C. A&T in 1998.Welborne is leaving after working over 38 years at A&T.

In 1984, he became assistant vice chancellor for student affairs, and in 1989 he was appointed vice chancellor for student affairs until his retirement in 2001.

In 2003, Welborne returned to A&T as a faculty member in the chemistry department, and in 2007 Chancellor Stanley F. Battle appointed him vice chancellor for student affairs.

The A&T Register was not able to contact Rashid before press time after multiple attempts. We will interview her at a later date.

• Kelcie McCrae