Like all good things, this too must come to an end

The A&T Register’s managing editor, Sylvia Obell speaks on her time at A&T from her freshman year to her senior year. She will be graduating on May 12

For the past two years I’ve watched editors before me write their senior farewells anxiously waiting for my time, now that it’s here, I must admit I’m not exactly sure what it is I want to say. I mean how do you put four years of feelings, into one editorial?

I guess I’ll start by saying that choosing to attend North Carolina Agricultural & Technical State University was the best decision I have ever made. I may have my issues with the university from time to time but overall this experience has been amazing. The lessons I’ve learned, people I’ve met, places I’ve seen, and projects I’ve produced have all changed me in some way for the better. That being said, this is for you all:

I have to start by thanking my family because if it wasn’t for them, I wouldn’t have been able to come to or make it through A&T. You’re support has been so detrimental in my success. To my Mom, my backbone, I know it wasn’t easy for you to let you’re first born come all the way down to Greensboro, but I thank you for doing everything in your power to make it possible. This degree is yours as much as it is mine, we made it.

To my professors, especially those in JOMC, thank you for helping me reach my true potential. You all have brought out, nurtured, and encouraged the journalist within me and for that I am forever grateful. Professor Wiggins, Cunningham-Engram, and Pender-Jones, you all have been more than educators to me; you’ve been my mothers away from home. Professor Styles, Columbia wouldn’t have happened without you, there’s not enough thank you’s in the world. Oh and thanks for letting me get into you’re elite “A-Student Club.” Professor Wickham, I don’t know where any of us would be if you hadn’t entered our lives. Thank you for the countless opportunities and for teaching me what being a journalist truly means.

Dee and Kay, you both are great additions to the JOMC family, I’m going to miss popping in the office and complaining about our endless to-do list’s with you ladies.

I know I’ve done countless favors for the department during my time here, just know I plan to cash in on those favors as I go out into this industry and find my place as a journalist, thanks in advance!

To my JOMC family as a whole, we are the best department on this campus! I don’t care what anyone has to say about it. Students please take advantage of all our department has to offer. I know a lot of you will make me proud, see you on the other side!

To my friends, words can’t describe how much each of you means to me. I came to North Carolina from New Jersey without knowing a soul down here. You all have become my family over these past four years and I wouldn’t have been able to stay sane through this crazy journey without you all. I’m having a hard time grasping the fact that we’ll never all live in the same city again. It was fun while it lasted. Insomnia, thank you for the laughs, conversations, crazy nights, and endless memories. I know our bond will last well beyond our time here at A&T; I love you ladies and can’t wait to see what life has in store for you. Kelcie, Kenny, Trumaine, Ashley, CJ and Chuck; you all are more than just my co-workers you’re my family. It’s not easy working with you’re friends, but we’ve managed to survive it. You all are amazingly talented and I think we’ve had a great run with the newspaper this year. Kelcie, you did a great job leading us all, it was great working and living with you.

You’re friendship means the world to me. You too Kenny! Triple Threat will forever be tight, you both are stuck with me for life.

Speaking of the A&T Register, as managing editor I’d like to thank my fellow editors as a whole, this newspaper has definitely been a labor of love, thanks for you’re dedication. Emily, thank you for dealing with our day to day nonsense and fighting our battles for us. Know we do appreciate all you do for us. Anjan, thanks for the jewels of wisdom. To my past EIC’s Dexter and Jasmine, thanks for embracing me into the Register family and showing us how to lead. To next year’s staff, don’t make me come back down here from NYC to set you all straight, take care of our baby (the newspaper).

To my Aggies, I hope you all have benefited in some way or another from my articles and work as an editor for the student newspaper of A&T. Aggie Pride bonds us forever. As I enter alumni status, please don’t hesitate to shout me out if you see me somewhere or need a favor. We’re Aggie born and Aggie Bred, see you at Homecoming!

There’s really no place like Aggieland, I’m going to miss it tremendously, but I am excited and very ready for the next chapter of my life.

As I get ready to pack my bags and head to Columbia University (don’t ever let anyone tell you HBCU grads can’t make it into the “Ivy league”) in NYC, I promise to never forget my roots. A&T made me, now I just hope I’ll be able to make A&T proud.

It’s been real, but like all good things, this too must come to an end. Look for my future by-lines!

[email protected]

And follow her on Twitter

@YngBlkAndFancy

• Slyvia Obell, Managing Editor