Love and Hip Hop

Ratchet Mondays commenced with the two-part reunion special of Love and Hip Hop Atlanta. Though no issues were resolved on the special, plenty were revisited.

The shows main attraction was the dramatic story of Mimi, Stevie J, and Joseline. Stevie J and Mimi’s story began as the typical “famous guy-non-famous girlfriend” love story, but quickly shifted when Stevie revealed himself to be much worse than your average “dog”.

Throughout the season, Stevie showed a blatant disregard for Mimi, going as far as to flaunt his sidepiece, Joseline, in front of her.

Joseline begins the season with a tough front, seemingly “ok” with her role as his mistress. Due to her immature admiration of Stevie, Joseline begins to want and expect more than just leftovers. Throughout the reunion, Joseline goes back and forth between “I just use Steebie for his money” to “I believe in Steebie and I’m down for whatever he wants to do”. Though appearances showed otherwise, Stevie J maintained that he and Joseline were not a couple.

Aside from the love triangle of Mimi, Stevie, and Joseline, we also had a “love-square” on Love and Hip Hop. This square consisted of Erica, rapper Lil Scrappy, Shay “Buckee” Johnson, and Mama Dee, mother of Lil Scrappy.

Scrappy, evidently not the most thoughtful in relationships, sees his baby mama, Erica, as cold and unaffectionate. As a way to ease his lack of affection, he turns to “best friend” Shay Johnson (many of you may remember her from Flavor of Love and VH1’s Charm School). Mama Dee believes that Shay is the perfect woman for Scrappy and encourages him to pursue her. During the season, the rapper strings Shay along while still leading Erica to believe that he’s all about his family.

On the reunion, Scrappy is ready to set things right. He officially broke things off with Shay, and finally purposed to Erica. Mama Dee, happy to see her son happy, welcomed Erica with opened arms.

The reunion also goes on to address other issues between cast mates, Rasheeda and K. Michelle. K. Michelle and Rasheeda’s issue stems from K. Michelle’s account of domestic abuse from her former boyfriend. Being that Rasheeda is good friends with this man, she can’t really believe K.’s story. Her mistake: telling K. that she couldn’t believe her story. A blowout ensued resulting in Rasheeda being escorted off stage.

By the end of the special, though nothing was resolved, K. was able to praise Rasheeda’s marriage to Kirk and wish them both well.

Although this season of Love and Hip Hop Atlanta has come to an end, don’t fret. Ratchet Mondays is sure to continue. Basketball Wives LA premiers September 10th and, the premiere of Chrissy & Mr. Jones airs September 24th.

• ]amilah Shepard, Contributor