Take these important steps to prepare your car for winter

When ice glazes the roads and frigid gusts buffet your car along the highway, you know you have to drive more carefully. But your car-related cautions shouldn’t stop after you pull into the driveway. If you want to stay safe and keep your vehicle performing well all year round, make your best winter car care efforts now.

Follow these tips for preparing your car for winter:

* Check your tires. According to the car experts at Edmunds.com, tire pressure is particularly important during the winter. Icy, snowy conditions minimize traction, which is why it’s so important to have properly inflated tires that make good contact with the road. And tire pressure can drop even more due to cold temperatures, so be sure to check the pressure frequently throughout winter. You should also make sure that your tires’ treads are in good, road-gripping condition.

* Create a storage checklist. If you want to keep your car out of the elements, take note of these winter car storage tips. First, lay down a drop sheet and park the car on it. Then, change your vehicle’s fluids, like engine coolant, engine oil, hydraulic clutch, brake and windshield washer fluid. You should also fill your gas tank to prevent oxidation in the fuel system. Placing the car on jack-stands is also a good idea, as it takes strain off suspension components and stops tires from developing flat spots. To keep critters out of your tail pipe, plug it with a steel wool pad.

* Be prepared. One of the most important winter health precautions you can take is to keep an emergency kit in your car. If you’re stranded on the road, the situation can quickly become dire in bad weather. Pack a bag or case with the following and keep it in your vehicle: a flashlight, flares, a first-aid kit, jumper cables, a tool kit, tire chains, a blanket, gloves, a hat, extra warm clothes, paper towels, and extra food. You should also keep a bag of something like sand or salt in case you need extra traction, and an additional bottle of washer fluid so that you’ll be able to see clearly.

By making sure your car is prepared for the coldest months and most extreme weather of the year, you’ll be making yourself safer. A happy winter driving season is just a few short preparation steps away.