Avoid these car maintenance mistakes

After your house, your car is probably the most expensive purchase in your life. And because it has such a high price tag, you want to keep it around as long as possible, which means it’s best to practice car preventative maintenance.

But don’t fall into the car maintenance costs trap due to ignorance or bad advice from an “auto specialist.” MSN Auto has some tips on mistakes people make when taking their car in for work.

* If you drive a modern vehicle – something built in the last three years, it doesn’t need a tune up. In fact, computers are programmed to handle just about everything that makes your car run. But you will need to perform regular maintenance and replace items like belts, spark plugs and coolant fluids. Check with your owner’s manual for recommended car maintenance.

* The top-rated fuel at the pump might not be the best match for your vehicle. If your engine only requires 87 octane regular, don’t bother paying the extra cash for the premium fuel. It won’t do anything to improve your gas mileage or keep your engine cleaner.

* Did your check engine light pop on as you drove to work this morning? But you aren’t noticing anything strange in the way your car handles or sounds? Before you call the maintenance shop, tighten your gas cap first. Paying a diagnostic fee for a loose gas cap is one of the most common – and expensive – omissions drivers make.

Another auto maintenance mistake many car owners make is winterizing their vehicles, according to CNNMoney.com. If you check your owner’s manual, you’ll probably discover your car doesn’t need any special treatment. The only exceptions are if you need to put on winter tires, and to keep more gasoline in your tank, which minimizes air mixing with the fuel and potentially crystallizing in the cold temperatures.

You don’t have to be a fully certified mechanic to keep your car running smoothly for many years, but reviewing your owner’s manual and asking many questions at your service shop will help you to avoid spending unnecessary money on car maintenance.