Letter to the editor

The First Baptist Church of Apple Street would like to express its gratitude to a few young men who attend your institution. They were well mannered, interesting and smart.

The church was in need of a number of young men to participate in the annua Easter program, and time was slowly winding down. Shaylon Johnson a freshman at your school agreed to take part in the play, and he asked some of his friends to help out as well. Four other young men agreed to help out.

They stated that they couldn’t be there to practice until the actual day of the play due to other commitments. The program took place on Palm Sunday, April 5, 2009. We really didn’t know if they would show up, and we had all but given up hope.  

I can’t express the joy and thankfulness we felt when we saw those young men walk in to the church. It brought to mind the old expression “oh ye of little faith.” The young men came in not knowing what they would be required to do. They listened attentively to instructions and they followed through. You would have thought that they were there for every practice.

We are so grateful for their participation that we felt we had to share this wonderful experience with others. It is hard to find young men who stand by their word. These young men proved that their word is truly their bond.  

Our hats are off to these fine young men and the University, your teachings are being witnessed in the real world as well as in their academic life.  

First Baptist Church would like to commend: freshman Shaylon Johnson, Brian Davis, Keshan Cherry, Sophomore Coley Williams and North Carolina A&T State University for a job well done!  

• Frances McAdoo