Ashanti makes brave comeback

The music industry welcomed singer Ashanti back for her fifth studio album “Braveheart” on March 4, 2014.

Thus far, the album has charted number one on the Billboard independent albums list and number ten on Billboard’s 200 albums list. “Braveheart” has received positive reviews and looks to be a success for the newly independent artist.

After a six-year hiatus from the music industry, Ashanti is back and she is revealing a sense of vulnerability fans have yet to see from her. Braveheart is full of ballads and heartfelt R&B sounds. Predictions for this album were not very high due to a lack of publicity and a decline in both her career and personal life.

In 2002, Ashanti released “Foolish” her most successful album to date, which was certified three time platinum and helped her win a Grammy for Best Contemporary R&B album in 2003. Also in 2003, Ashanti released “Chapter II,” which also went platinum. Her third studio album released in 2005.

“Concrete Rose” brought about Ashanti’s decline in the industry. Her sales and the quality of her music were at an all time low. Her sound changed and it ultimately affected her fan base.

During that time, the record label she was signed to went through changes, which delayed albums from being released. Finally, in 2008, Ashanti released “The Declaration,” which landed her a top ten spot on the Billboard, but did not deliver quality music.

Contrary to what most predicted, “Braveheart” is a breath of fresh air. It is solidifying itself since “Chapter II,” one of her best studio albums. The album features rap stars French Montana and Rick Ross. It also features R&B singer Jeremiah, as well as Beenie Man.

Songs such as “Braveheart,” “Nowhere,” “3 words,” “She Can’t,” “Don’t Tell Me No” and “First Real Love” share a common theme of love and making relationships work through hard times. Other songs like “Love Games” and “Early in the morning” bring to the album a sexual feel, and set the mood for a more sensual setting. “Never Should Have,” “Scars,” and “Runaway” touch on pain and heartbreak.

Overall, Ashanti delivers on her first independent project. What makes it more intriguing is it was released under her record label, Written Entertainment.

— Email Catherine at  [email protected]  and follow us on Twitter @TheATRegister

• Catherine Singletary, Register Contributor