Self-evaluation reflected on Instagram

As society advances with new social media sites, we fall victim to relying on likes and retweets to boost our self-esteem. 

When you get 200 likes on a photo does it put you on cloud nine? Does it make you feel accomplished, or does your self-esteem feel like it has been validated for the day?    

Twitter and Instagram have students craving for the validation from others. Our generation is beginning to seem like we need to be social network famous. 

In comparison to celebrities who sometimes step away from the attention, we crave it. It seems as though many Instagram users are asking for attention, and the liking of their pictures helps elevate their self-esteem. 

Recently, Instagram has become a place for some of its users to feel the need to go above and beyond to make sure they get that special 100th like. It is like a competition for 100 likes per photo. “S/O if you like my last five pictures,” is constantly tossed around to make sure that the user gets the likes they feel they need. 

Although Instagram is a place for people to express themselves through photos, there is a certain point where it is imperative to step back from the social world and check back into reality. It would amaze students at how much they can get done by simply taking a break from social media. 

Many people have developed a habit of checking their social media sites before any other activity. 

I  too have fallen victim to this habit. ‘Good Morning Posts’ are the most atrocious posts compared to any other. Students are quick to like pictures requesting a good morning post from a follower on Instagram, yet they fail to wish their mothers and fathers good morning. 

There is no need to advertise what we do every day to get something done. Often times, people take pictures in the gym as a means to show how dedicated they are to making changes in their life. Making life changes is great. 

However, when it seems that a person is more concerned with the image of working out instead of actually working out, there is room to believe they are solely posting for attention. 

What my brothers and sisters fail to realize is that if the picture is great in his or her eyes, that should be the only like that matters. We are impeccable beings that cannot be copied or reproduced. Do not fall victim to the attention and likes that are constantly placed on posts. As future educators, doctors, and businessmen and women, 100 likes on a picture will not get us closer to our dreams.  

Instagram is not a place where likes determine if you will be accepted by society. We forget that it is just social media, a way to relax and take your mind off of classes and the outside world. Instagram’s slogan is “Fast, Beautiful, Photo Sharing.” Let’s not make it any bigger than what it is meant to be. 

—Email Dominique at [email protected] and follow him on Twitter @theatregister

• Dominique moody Contributor