Attention teen drivers, turn off that cell phone

A lot of teenagers yearn for the day when they will turn 16. It’s the magic age when they get the license to drive. But are they ready for it?

Parents, it is your responsibility to make sure the answer is “Yes.” Insist that your teenager follow safe driving practices from the get-go. This can be done by setting a good example for them when you are behind the wheel. You should also set some ground rules before handing over the keys.

A good place to start is with a conversation about why it’s so important to make the car a “no cell phone zone.” According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) analysis of 120 cell phone studies, drivers on the phone typically have decreased reaction times and travel speeds, as well as increased lane deviations and steering wheel movements. They are also involved in a lot of accidents.

A National Safety Council report published in January 2010, estimates that 1.4 million crashes are caused each year by drivers talking on cell phones. Drivers who are texting and driving are blamed for 200,000 accidents annually. Alarmingly, the highest incidence of distracted driving occurs among drivers under the age of 20.

Realizing how serious the problem is, seven states now prohibit drivers from using hand-held cell phones in the car. Twenty-one states prohibit texting while driving. Those caught in violation could face stiff fines.

But cell phones aren’t the only distraction teen drivers need to be concerned about. Among the other distractions that have led to accidents:

* Operating or adjusting the radio and other accessories.

* Reading, talking and daydreaming.

* Eating while driving.

* Looking for an address.

* Distractions caused by passengers in the vehicle.

* Road distractions such as a crash in the next lane, an automated highway sign or an approaching emergency vehicle.

*Grooming on-the-go – using an electric razor, applying cosmetics, painting nails, etc.

In addition to informing teenage drivers about the dangers such activities present, another way to encourage your son or daughter to be responsible behind the wheel is to require him or her to pay for auto insurance. The first year a teen driver is added to their parents’ car insurance policy, you can expect the additional cost to range anywhere from $500 to $3,000. But for every year the teen driver remains accident-free, the rates can go down significantly.

Courtesy of ARAcontent