Shaw University Cheerleader Hit and Killed

22-year-old Keyona Verdell has been identified as the college student who was killed after being hit by a car in Ra- leigh, NC. She was a third-year student at Shaw University, and a former member and captain of the cheerleading team.

Local authorities reported that Verdell and another 23-year- old woman were in a car driven by 29-year-old Terrance Ar- chibald. The three were on their way home from Luc Lounge, a night club in Raleigh. There was an altercation which ended in Verdell voluntarily leaving the car, despite Archibald and the other woman’s protest.

Around 6:15 a.m. on New Hope Church Road between Bonneville Court and Green Road, Verdelll was walking on a dark stretch of the road when she was struck and killed by a 2002 Toyota sedan driven by 32-year-old, Dimas Martinez- Ismal.

Archibald and the other fe- male passenger immediately re- turned to the scene and respond- ed to the incident. Police reports state that Archibald pushed Martinez-Ismal, breaking his cell phone in the altercation.

Archibald was then cited for simple assault and damage to property. Martinez-Ismal was cited for operating a vehicle without an operator’s license. No charges have been filled in connection with the collision.

“The loss of Keyona is dev- astating to our entire University community,” said Shaw Univer- sity President, Tashni Dubroy. University officials have con- firmed a service will be held on campus in memory of Verdell later this week.

“She was a young woman with an enormous future ahead, and beloved by so many here on campus. We are in shock to have another Shaw student unexpect- edly pass just as we are start- ing our semester. We send our deepest condolences to Keyo- na’s family and will continue to keep them in our thoughts and prayers during this time of

grief” explained Dubroy.

— Alexis Wainwright – Sports Editor