Aggie Football Prepares for Pirates

The Aggies head to Armstrong Stadium in Hampton, VA to face the Hampton University Pirates this Saturday, Oct. 3rd at 2p.m.

Armstrong Stadium has been a haunting enviornment for the Aggies. Historically, N.C. A&T remains winless on Hampton’s turf since a 31-28 win in 2000. Since then, N.C. A&T is on a six game losing streak at Hampton by an average score of 38- 17. The Pirates have not scored fewer than 17 points during that streak.

The Aggies are in the midst of the third of a four-game road stretch. Currently, N.C. A&T rests at 1-1 after an on the road record of 3-1 in 2014. It marked the Aggies first winning record on the road since 2003 when they toured 5-0.

The Aggies are 3-1 in conference openers under head coach, Rod Broadway. Broadway is in his fifth season at N.C. A&T and holds a record of 30-18. He is two wins shy of his 100th career coaching victory. N.C. A&T continues to play strong defense as they are ranked fourth in the nation and first in the MEAC.

Hampton lost to Norfolk State 24-14 in their conference opener last week. Head coach, Connell Maynor is in his second season with the Pirates. He was 3-9 in his first season with a 2-6 conference record. He also spent four seasons at Winston-Salem State where his record was 45-6 and brought the school to a runner-up finish in the NCAA Division II title game.

Maynor starred as a quarterback at N.C. A&T from 1989- 91 where he led the Aggies to the 1991 MEAC championship. He also won back-to-back MEAC Offensive Player of the Year honors, becoming the first player at N.C. A&T of any sport to win consecutive Player of the Year awards. Maynor is 50-17 in his coaching career after going 45-6 in four years at Winston-Salem State.

Alexis Wainwright – Sports Editor

—Email Alexis at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @MultiplexReport