Aggies let their voice B.E. Heard

Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc. hosted the “B.E. HEARD” poetry slam Sept. 6, in Webb Hall Auditorium.

Many students came out to hear talented poets recite their pieces at the full house event, which eventually packed out the auditorium.

Jehuti Willis, member of the Beta Epsilon chapter, hosted the event.

“This year we decided to do things differently and came up with the idea of a poetry slam instead of an open mic event,” said Willis.

The poetry slam included seven talented poets. The judges panel consisted of chapter members from different sororities and fraternities along with someone chosen from the audience.

The event had three rounds and two performers were eliminated after each round.

All of the performing poets spoke about life, college, current events, loved ones, and economic issues of today.

Taylor Grier, senior education major explained her experience at the poetry slam.

“I am so happy I came out. I was very inspired and educated from the poets I saw perform tonight. Everyone did an awesome job.”

Tianna Cummings, sophomore economics and public relations double major, was one of the night’s two female performers.

Cummings’ poems were inspired from current events, family, and personal life stories.

”Kaleidoscope,” one of her newest pieces, spoke about bullying, and brought awareness to the worldwide issue many children are facing today.

The winner of the “B.E. HEARD” poetry slam was Brandon “iShine” Evans, senior media and African American studies major with a minor in business, from UNC-Greensboro.

Evans began writing short story narratives in high school, and did not get into poetry until his freshmen year of college.

During his senior year, he became interested in spoken word and performing at different events.

The inspiration from his work comes from his identity, culture, and real life incidents. Evan performed one of his favorite pieces “AFS 101.”

“This poem came from a situation where a white girl in my African American studies class asked why black people would refer to each other as the ‘N-word’,” said Evans.

In the poem, Evans explains stereotypes blacks people face while bringing attention to where the ‘N-word’ originated.

“I want to spread the word and tell a story through my poetry,” said Evans.

“I tell other poets all the time, ‘you’re great so be great.’ Everyone has a purpose.”

Evans shares his poetry both on and off campus.

As a member of the Bull City Slam Team in Durham, NC, Evans stated, “The goal this year is to win Nationals as a slam poet.”

“Events such as these are very important to our organization,” explained Emmanuel Johnson, president of the Beta Epsilon chapter.

“When we host events our goal is to get more people involved on campus and bring unity to our university.”

[email protected] and follow @ATRegister on Twitter!

• Kamil Lockley, Contributor