The key to a successful road trip – planning plenty of pit stops along the way

Think back to your childhood for a moment. Is there one family vacation that stands out from the rest?

Perhaps it was the time you drove to Florida and got to see alligators up close, sunning themselves when you stopped at a park for a picnic. Or maybe it was when you drove through the Smoky Mountains National Park and stopped to watch deer frolicking in the forest. Or when you visited a fossil shop on the way through South Dakota and got to hop on the back of a fiberglass apatosaurus.

They say getting there is half the fun, and that’s especially true for families on a road trip. Sometimes it’s not the destination that’s the biggest draw, but the pit stops you visit along the way. But how do you find these hidden treasures?

Sometimes you find them through sheer luck, like a sign on the highway pointing you in the right direction; but more often than not, it’s by doing a good job of planning in advance of your trip.

Among the best sources of information about the wonderful pit stops you’ll find on your way from one place to another: the Internet, travel guides found at your local library and/or bookstore, detailed maps, brochures obtained from your local travel agent, hotel or roadside assistance service, and the pamphlets you find at the rest stops along the way.

Just as you should plan ahead for some of the pit stops you’d like to make, before hitting the road make sure you have adequate insurance in place in case your car breaks down, or you get into an accident while far away from home. If it has been a while since you shopped for insurance, now is a good time to seek some auto insurance quotes to make sure the car insurance rates you are paying are competitive.

Just think, if you’re able to save on car insurance, you’ll have more money to spend on the trip. Bon voyage!