Cell phones and cars are a deadly mix

The next time you witness a driver drifting from lane to lane, running a red light or making a left-hand turn while ignoring oncoming traffic, chances are they have a cell phone in hand.

According to a January 2010 report from the National Safety Council, an estimated 1.4 million crashes are caused each year by drivers talking on cell phones. Drivers who are texting and driving are blamed for 200,000 accidents annually. Alarmingly, the highest incidence of distracted driving occurs in those under the age of 20.

Realizing how dangerous distracted driving is for this age group, many grassroots efforts have been launched to curb it. In 2007, Congress even passed a resolution establishing every third week in October as National Teen Driver Safety Week (NTDSW).

The observance is designed to raise awareness about the tragedy of teen vehicle crashes, the leading cause of death for young people in the United States. It is also intended to spark communication among teenagers, their parents and civic leaders about the causes of and ways to prevent teen crashes. In 2010, NTDSW will be observed from October 17 – 23.

Many auto insurance companies have taken up the cause as well. Allstate, for example, has a teen driver safety program which offers families tools and resources designed to help keep young drivers safe. Among the tools available, a parent-teen driving contract that outlines teen driver responsibilities and defines consequences families agree on together if they’re not met; and a collection of useful tips designed to help parents encourage their teen drivers to be safe drivers.

* Discuss when, where, how and with whom your teen is allowed to drive.

* Limit the number of passengers in the car. Laughter, music and cell phones can create serious distractions which increase with every additional passenger.

* Create a no-cell phone zone.

Committing to safety will be a huge money saver in the long run. The first year a teen driver is added to insurance policy, parents can expect car insurance quotes to range anywhere from an additional $500 to $3,000. For every year the teen driver remains accident free, the rates can go down significantly.

Courtesy of ARAcontent