Local Artist Spotlight: J.K. The Rapper

Greensboro is most known for being a college town, but no one ever mentions anything about the music scene here. That’s where J.K. The Rapper comes in. The witty lyricist was born and raised here in Greensboro. He along with his collective FANG has been making a name for themselves for quite some time now. The internet and social networks have helped J.K. build a solid fan base that has lead to him being featured on many major hip hop blogs, and even “The New York Times.”

His most noted material is probably his mixtape, “A Iller Life,” which came out at the end of last September. When he released the tape, people started to notice who he was and where he was from.  That’s when he received the article in “The New York Times.”  Prior to “A Iller Life,” he had already released other projects, and had been featured on SpaceGhostPurp’s mixtape, “Blackland Radio.” One thing that separates J.K. from other local artists is that his work ethic is unmatched, and he’s consistent.  It’s rare that you hear a bad verse from him.

“I.LL. 2021” is J.K. The Rapper’s most recent project. It is a tape that consists of classic hip-hop instrumentals, and the witty flow the Greensboro native is most known for.  A few of the instrumentals were well known beats produced by 9th Wonder, the late J. Dilla, RZA, and The Fugees. It is a great body of work, but it is only something to hold his fans over, until he releases “A Iller Life 2.” That project is set to release some time this year.  It was only the appetizer for the main course that he’s about to serve.

If you’re sleeping on the local talent, this is your cue to stop. J.K. and his collective FANG are striving to be the next big thing out of the state. N.C. has never really had a hip-hop scene, so 2013 may just be the year. 

• By: Jeffery Lockhart