“Fame” remake is an urban twist on a classic

If you like musicals, films with a variety of angles, or feel good movies then “Fame” is a must-see.

Fame is a remake of the 1980 movie that chronicles the journey of four students as they matriculate through the New York High School for the Performing Arts, or “PA” as the cast fondly refers to it. While the plot line is still virtually identical to the original, this year’s version of the film brings in a larger cast of characters, each with a more unique story about their personal journey through “PA” as they each try to develop and monopolize on their talent.

The film begins with some colorful auditions, as over 150 students compete to try to gain admission into the prestigious high school. It is within this first scene that the audience gets a first glimpse of each character’s different walk of life. As each character goes into their respective auditions, they struggle with their nerves and some find it difficult to perform.Throughout the film, the audience learns about the background story and struggles each character faces in trying to reach their goal of fame.

While this movie is a great remake, it was oftentimes predictable and seemed as though the each character’s story line competed for dominance. In a film with eight characters, all eight of them should not be the main characters. In an effort to tell each person’s story, “Fame” seems more like a watered down version of “High School Musical,” as it has much more acting to balance out the music aspect of the film. “Fame” also ends without much conclusion to anyone’s journey. The audience is just left to wonder what happened to each person after the graduation ceremony. This direction does bring realism to the film as life is uncertain, but it could have been orchestrated in a much better way.  The film also neglects to even perform the “Fame” song, which the movie is named for. Instead, it is only briefly heard at the beginning and end of the film. Overall, “Fame” gives its audience a little bit of song and dance, and a lot of comic relief, empathy, and realism. This would make a great family or first date film. B- 

• Dexter Mullins