All that sparkles is GOLDEN

Golden Delight’s 2013-2014 Captain; Dacia Stinson has been casted in the upcoming VH1 film Drumline: A New Beat premiering Monday, Oct. 27 at 9 p.m.

Golden Delight, affectionately known as “The Sweethearts of the MEAC,” has been around since the late 1980’s. The early 1990’s brought about the first glimpse of what you see today. Golden Delight, previously known as “The Untouchables,” received the name “Golden Delight” during the 1991-1992 school year. It was during the era of Johnny B. Hodge, Jr.

In the 2002 film, Nick Cannon played Devin Miles, a drummer from Harlem who gets recruited to play in the Atlanta A&T drumline. The movie was filmed at Morris Brown College in Atlanta. The band in the movie is perceived to be a replica of N.C. A&T’s band. It was announced in early February that there would be a Drumline 2.

“In the movie I am cast as a dancer for the opposing team. We do very hard moves and hood-type dance style” said Stinson, a junior, sociology student.

Stinson competed against 250 girls and went through four cuts in four days.

Stinson began her college career as a member of Golden Delight in 2011. She danced with the squad for three years. She served as captain during her sophomore and junior year.

Head Coach Tiffany Brown played an essential role in helping Stinson get to Atlanta.  “I am very proud of Dacia. She wanted to venture out into the world, so I did what I could.  I paid for her expenses so she could live out her dreams,” said Brown.

Brown graduated from N.C. A&T in 2002 with a Bachelor’s degree in History. She is going into her 15th season as a member of Golden Delight’s staff.

The process for auditions was very intense. I was new to the audition experience. I literally decided to go auditions 3 days before the big day. I was running around getting headshots and resumes prepared. I had my coach, who is still currently the coach, Tiffany Brown to help me along the entire way and I’m thankful for that. She is my like my god mom.”

Along with Stinson casting in the new film, she has been opened to bigger opportunities in the dance industry. She will be making appearances in two upcoming movies, one in which Queen Latifah will be starring in. The movie “Bessie” is the story of the legendary blues performer, Bessie Smith, who rose to fame during the 1920s and ‘30s. She has also been featured on tour with Joseline Hernandez and will be a dancer in 2 Chainz’ upcoming video.

“I am honestly just honored to be here coming from a phenomenal HBCU. I can actually represent my school in a movie that was dedicated to a big part of my life while I was at N.C. A&T. Needless to say I love what I have been through. I am 21 years old and I came to Atlanta with my faith. No guarantees, No definite, No nothing! I love to inspire people. I love to create. I love to let my thoughts go and just live my dreams,” said Stinson.

Current head captain and long time friend of Stinson, Kierra Lucas said, “She has always wanted to go into the world. When she told me she wanted to go to Atlanta, I was behind her every step of the way. We came into GD together in 2011 and I could tell that she was really passionate about dance.” The upcoming homecoming performance was described as traditional, revamped and a good time. Like past half time shows, The Blue and Gold Marching Machine and Golden Delight will be joined by the Alumni Band. Band members and Golden Delights from previous years will join together and put on a show.

Co-captain Lakeya Hardy said, “It doesn’t matter whether you were a part of GD or BGMM, we are like a big family when everybody comes back.”

When asked if she will be attending GHOE, Stinson said “Hmmmm, Homecoming….. You might see me at the game on Saturday. You never know.”

—Email Janay  at [email protected] and follow us on Twitter @Ayo_IsThatBoone

• Janay Boone Sports Editor