NYC Fashion Week Wrap-Up

With Fall and Winter approaching, it seems as though you should be pulling out sweaters, boots, and your best “all black everything.”

However, for the last seven days in New York City, things have been heating up during Mercedes Benz New York Fashion Week.

The week started off honoring Oscar De La Renta at the Fashion Institute.

He was pleased to be one of the honorees of the Council of Fashion Designers of America (CFDA).

Everything went seemingly smooth, in lieu of De La Renta’s comment made last year about First Lady Michelle Obama’s gown choice to the State Dinner.

He even shed a bit more light on the situation and told Womens Wear Daily, “My understanding is that the visit was to promote American-Chinese trade — American products in China and Chinese products in America.”

“Why do you wear European clothes?”

Needless to say, the luncheon was a success and showed promise to the week ahead.

The Jason Wu SS 2012 show brought an air of old Hollywood glamour with an edge to it as though he had forgot about the change in seasons, or the fact that he dressed a conservative Michele Obama for the MET Gala.

He sent 43 black leather and lace looks down the runway.

His inspiration behind the collection was Newton’s retrospective that ran at the Grand Palais in Paris earlier this year.

He accessorized his predominately nude and black collection with leather harnesses, black veils, and red lipstick, which might be the shade of a “Girl on Fire” in singer Alicia Keys’ words.

Wu’s collection left a few wondering as he pushed through his comfort zone, and with narrowly cut jumpsuits and high waist androgynous pants.

Saturday and Sunday which are synonymous with having a good time, proved to be just that with tales of networking and open bars.

Maison Martian Margiela opened up a new store on Bleeker Street in New York and christened the store opening with an after party.

Staying within the spirit of Fashion Week the Mara Hoffman, Marlon Gobel, Marc Jacobs, Alexander Wang and Marchesa show went on showcasing some of the hottest looks you are sure to see in Vogue next year.

Kanye West and Kim Kardashian even stopped by the tents to see the Marchesa show, which drew attention from the collection to “Kimye.”

Finally after an exhausting four-day weekend, which marked most of the trends for the next year, Monday was Avril Levine’s show.

The highlight of her show was Kendall Jenner, Brody Jenner, Jonathan Cheban, and Kylie Jenner who walked the runway.

After attending a week’s worth of shows, do not forget to recount all the trends for the season and get ready for another fashionable fall!

• Deryck Nicholson, Contributor