Life Is But A Dream

The “Beyhive” buzzed in anticipation Saturday night for the premier of Beyoncé’s HBO documentary “Life is But a Dream.” Timelines and newsfeeds flooded with anxious fans predicting what was to be expected. From Twitter @DeeDeeJae said, “who else has the power to make all of us stay in the house on a Saturday night when we could be somewhere pre-gaming?” Also from Twitter @shortsNstilettos tweeted, “Ready for BEYONCE!!! #LifeIsButADream.” Would we see the baby bump up close? Is she finally going to open up about Jay and their relationship?  Is this just going to be a publicity stunt to promote an upcoming album?

In the end, Queen Bey delivered.  It was the personal videos that were included in the film that made Beyonce feel obtainable to her fans. Family footage of her with her sister Solange Knowles and Kelly Rowland bouncing and singing made her feel like one of the girls. Even hearing her accidently curse every once in a while humanized her. This documentary gave a better understanding of this multifaceted woman. Seeing Beyonce in a more personal light took her down from the pedestal many of her “stans” put her on.

Some of the most surprising aspects of this film included shots of Beyonce she filmed herself. Perhaps the most anticipated was of her in the bathroom examining her newly visible baby bump. Fans also got to hear for the first time Beyonce open up about the miscarriage of her first child. Raw emotion and depth transcended throughout the entire documentary. Even more touching was the footage revealing interactions between Mrs. Carter and her husband. One in particular moment came in the form of a private dinner for Jay-Z’s birthday in 2006. Surrounded by family and friends, Beyonce poured out emotions of love and gratitude to her husband. It is these private moments that solidify the love these two shares and makes their relationship more real.

This film was not only a documentary, but a journey as well. Viewers get to see Beyonce come into her own as an independent businesswoman. Many can remember the split she made in 2012 from her father as her manager. Intimate couch interviews revealed her true feelings on the split. With this newfound power, Beyonce was able to take hold of her brand and clear her own path. Her fans get to see the work and dedication it takes to maintain the empire that she has built. She was even quoted in saying, “To whom much is given, much is required.”

Just when you thought the emotional ride was over, fans got to see Beyonce take on a completely new role in her life. Witnessing Beyonce as a new mother was probably the most profound part of this film. After all the speculations, viewers caught a glimpse of the infamous Blue Ivy Carter. The look of euphoria on Beyoncé’s face as she coddles her child made her even more real. After what we discovered about her struggle with her miscarriage, it is easy to understand the effort she put into protecting her pregnancy and her then unborn child.

Overall, HBO did a wonderful job of capturing the true woman behind the brand. Fans got to see her as a human being and a woman instead of a voice or a product. There is no longer any confusion between Sasha Fierce and Beyonce in this film. All the moments captured were truly Mrs. Carter. Even more touching is the message left by this film. Beyoncé’s moments of clarity and sound advice could easily be applied to anyone’s goals and aspirations. After seeing this documentary, you will be left inspired. Beyonce is much more than a face. She is a mother, a daughter, a wife, an empire, but most of all, a newly complete woman.

• By: Kourtney Pope