See where a medical assistant career can take you

If you’ve ever thought about pursuing a career in the health care industry, now is the time to make it happen. Health care is expected to gain 3.2 million jobs before 2018 – more than any other industry – according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Health care is one of the most diverse industries and employs people with all different educational levels. One of the most dynamic positions you can pursue is that of a medical assistant.

Medical assistants can be found all over the health care industry. They perform important administrative and clinical tasks that play a significant role in keeping practitioners’ offices running smoothly. These dynamic professionals have a range of responsibilities, including:

* Updating patients’ medical records and filling out insurance forms

* Arranging for hospital visits and laboratory services

* Scheduling appointments and bookkeeping

* Taking vital signs, preparing patients for examinations and explaining procedures

* Performing basic laboratory tests

These duties only skim the surface of what medical assistants are expected to do, and their duties vary greatly depending on the type of office or medical setting they work in.

If you’re interested in pursuing a career as a medical assistant, you can take several paths. It’s possible to get a job with only a high school diploma, but you can become a more marketable candidate by obtaining an associate degree or a certificate or diploma. Medical assistant training programs can be found at vocational high schools, post-secondary vocational schools, and community and junior colleges. In general, you can earn a certificate or diploma in as little as 12 months or an associate degree in as little as 24 months.

Because the jobs themselves require such a diverse skill set, medical assistant courses cover a wide range of information and are designed to teach students the practical knowledge and skills necessary to succeed in the demanding, high-paced medical environment.

If you want to become part of the health care industry, there is no better time to pursue your dream. Start training for a rewarding career today.

Information in this article was provided by Brown College. Contact Brown College today if you’re interested in developing marketable knowledge and career-relevant skills with an industry-current degree program. (Brown College does not guarantee employment or salary. Financial aid is available for those who qualify.)

Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2010-11 Edition, Medical Assistants, on the Internet at http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos164.htm (visited May 26, 2010).

Courtesy of ARAcontent