Scandal Season 3 Premiere

The Olivia Pope is back. During the season opener of Scandal, Olivia reclaimed her throne and casted away her cape of sorrow that claimed her as a victim but most importantly also the enemy.

In this episode we are finally given a needle to poke into Pope’s personal life beyond President Fitz. We discover that Olivia’s mom died when she was 12 years old in a plane crash and all she has left is her father. Who is also head of BS13, which is Huck’s previous employer. So, for what seems like the first time since sending her off to multiple boarding schools he becomes a father. And plays is well, he not only sets his daughter up so well she would never be found or traced but he also parented her for what seems like the first time according to Olivia’s facial expressions. But Olivia, being the Olivia we know and love, chooses to fight.

It was proven that Pope and Associates cannot run without Pope. All “associates” were proven dormant when it came to fixing Olivia’s problem.  They had just about run out of options until Cyrus came crawling back to them for help and the greatest diversion; poor communication director. By the way, why does Olivia always take on Fitz’s possible mistresses as clients?

And y’all this war between Fitz and Mellie, the fact that Fitz leaked the information at all astounds me. Fitz really thinks that he can remain president and let alone get reelected with his mistress on his side, even if she is the love of his life where is his common sense. Cute gesture though, way to dream big Fitz. Oh, and did you catch why Fitz got so made at Olivia for using the fire alarm. He wanted to be sure that next time there is some sort of natural disaster and terrorist attack she would be able to be with him.

The writing in this show keeps you on your toes wanting more and more the entire hour and never fails with making your heart drop at the end. What in the world is Cyrus saying “oh my God” to? It has to be whatever Jake and Fitz did back in Iran as soldiers.

In all this was a great way to start the season. Sharon Rhimes and the other writers did it again with pissing us off, allowing us to feel the love, and once again leaving us with the shock and the disbelief.

• Taylor Young, Contributor