Lady Aggies Take Homecoming Win

On Friday, Oct. 24th the Lady Aggies Volleyball Team hosted MEAC-rival North Carolina Central University in Moore Gym. The two teams met in Durham earlier on Sept. 25th where the Lady Aggies fell 1-3. It’s clear that the team used their previous failure to fuel their fire during Friday’s game as they won the match in just four games.

To celebrate homecoming, and promote crowd participation, the Lady Aggies offered free pizza to the crowd after the second set of the match. Seniors Brooke Stamnes, Ashley Johnson and Aleena McDaniel played pivotal roles in the Lady Aggies’ four-set win Friday night. Clinching the team’s fourth straight home win, the seniors totaled 32 kills, and 31 digs in the four set victory. Sophomore Alyssa Pitt also had 15 kills, six total blocks, and six digs.

Additionally, Brooke Stamnes moved into second all-time in kills at 949. Ashley Johnson, the all-time leader in digs, is now only three digs shy of 1500 in her career. The win was the team’s fifth (third in the MEAC) and has moved the Lady Aggies into a three way tie with North Carolina Central and South Carolina State. The next match for the women’s volleyball team will be this Friday, Oct. 30th against Savannah State in Savannah, Ga. Soon after, the Lady Aggies will face the South Carolina State Bulldogs in Orangeburg, SC on Nov. 1st.

Hunter Watson – Sports Reporter

—Email Hunter at [email protected] and follow him on Twitter @Theatregister