Alpha Lambda Delta hosts open discussion on President Obama’s book

Students and faculty eagerly waited outside of the doors of the General Classroom Building Auditorium Nov. 11. The College of Arts and Sciences Colloquium Series and Alpha Lambda Delta National Freshman Honor Society, presented an open discussion on President Barack Obama’s book entitled “Dreams From My Father.”

Students and faculty filled the seats of the auditorium as they waited for the book discussion to begin. Alpha Lambda Delta featured four panelists to give their personal insight of the book.  Serving as panelists were Dr. Vanessa Cunningham-Engram from the  Department of Journalism and Mass Communication, Professor Bryon Turman from the Department of English, Joel Williamson (ALD President 2009-10), and Allahquan L. Tate (Freshman Class President 2009-10).

The panelists were asked several questions regarding the book and how they felt about the difference President Barack Obama is making so far. The moderator, sophomore business supply chain management major Chukwuemeka Anazia, posed very thought provoking questions.

Anazia asked the panel what they thought about the so called “Obama Effect” which has many different definitions but the one used by Anazia said, “Now that a black man has made it to presidency, that means there are no more excuses for black men.” Professor Turman said, “I suggest you walk across Market Street and take a look at where black men are. One of the things the university system does a great job of is creating a cocoon around us; our lives on campus are different from the lives of people across Market Street.” Truman also feels that his jury is still out on whether there will be an “Obama Effect.”

The book highlights some of the struggles and accomplishments of President Obama since childhood; from growing up and being teased as a young boy to winning the 2008 Presidential Election.

“I think if anything this book is motivation for kids to really see that they are not the only ones going through their struggling journeys, you can still set yourself up in the position to mold yourself for success,” said Joel Williamson, a sophomore business management major with a concentration in entrepreneurship.

Williamson said the book discussion was a great opportunity for students to not only see how President Obama overcame obstacles but to get a first hand insight of what they can gain by reading the book.

“All of us will not be president regardless of what nationality you are, you have to make your own path in life but also recognize that someone having a similar struggle has overcome it and you can too,” said Dr. Cunningham-Engram.  

• Jamia Harrison