Mary Jane Collides Head On with Tough Issues

via+BET
via BET

Being Mary Jane’s two-part season finale left everyone on the edge of their seats, as Mary Jane overheard a sex conversation between her best friends , Lisa and David that ended with a critical car crash. With that suspenseful ending, the show is destined for a strong season three comeback.

After thinking about what would happen next I was excited for season three. The new season revolves around Mary and how she deals with the betrayal of her best friend and the man she loved. How will she move on from that? Will she return back to any of her past relationships?

The premiere began with huge surprises. It was nice seeing Loretta Devine in a new role as CeCe, especially since she is at her best as the maternal figure.

Once it is revealed that Mary Jane was under the influence at the time of the accident, CeCe seizes this opportunity as a chance to extort more money. In spite of CeCe’s shaddy and manipulative ways, eerily she becomes a voice of reason for Mary Jane.

Not one to stay down long, Mary Jane quickly realizes that maybe the company she has been working for does not have her best interest at heart. Rather than self destruct or continue to sulk, Mary Jane makes the decision to brush herself off, push past her insecurites, and return to work stronger than ever.

In the most recent episode, Lisa finds herself in deep depression, alone and unloved. In an unfortunate turn of events, Lisa commits suicide.

Lisa’s suicide initially started due to the criticism by Mary Jane and her whole family after finding out ,about her involvement with David. From there things began to spiral out of control.

Lisa was a close family friend, who tried to apologize to Mary Jane the night before her death. However the damage was already done and Mary Jane was not receptive to Lisa’s pleas. Furthermore, David is the one who finds her body.

The biggest twist is Lisa’s parents showing up to make arrangements for their daughter despite the fact that Lisa hadn’t talked to them in 15 years. Tensions rise upon the arrival of Lisa’s father to the funeral. In a moment of high emotions, Mary Jane makes the choice to use her speech as a platform to put emphasis on issues that often plague the back community but are very rarely spoken about. Mary Jane speaks on Lisa’s struggle with depression, molestation, and unrequited love.

David thinks deeply about how he impacted two women’s lives and contributed to one committing suicide. Although Mary Jane gives David the cold shoulder when he tries to console her over Lisa’s death. Perhaps Mary Jane is done with David for good. Could audiences see a new love interest introduced soon?

The show continues to be great as Mary Jane continues to juggle her professionalism, career, and family life. The unanswered questions continue in regards to all these issues.

How will Mary Jane deal with the guilt of Lisa’s death? How much money will Mary Jane really pay Cece? This has been an emotional roller coaster ride so far for Being Mary Jane season three.

Don’t forget Being Mary Jane premiers every Tuesday night at 9 p.m. on BET.

Alexis Wainwright – Sports Editor