Active shooter drill on campus this Friday

This Friday, North Carolina A&T will participate in an active shooter drill on campus. The drill will test A&T’s readiness in the event that there was an actual active shooter event on campus.

The main area that the drill will take place will be blocked off and marked clearly for anyone passing by. The area will include the Dudley Memorial Building, Morrow Hall, and some of the buildings in close proximity to that area.

While this area is where the drill will take place, the effects will be felt all over campus, as every student will be involved in some way. Anyone who is registered for AggieAlert will receive a series of text messages signifying when the drill will begin, when it has progressed to the mid point, and when it will end.

Everyone will also receive e-mails to their ncat.edu email, there will be pop up alerts on the homepage, the Aggie InfoLine will be active, campus fax machines may also be utilized, and there will also be information on the plasma screen TVs across campus.

This is not only a university initiative, but a community initiative that will involve the Greensboro police department, university police department, local hospitals such as Moses Cone Memorial Hospital, and many others. Student’s parents should also receive a letter in the mail informing them of this drill.

Local businesses in immediate proximity of campus, as well as the larger Greensboro community, have already been notified of this drill. Local news stations have been broadcasting this information to the community as well.

Part of the preparation for this drill has already taken place, as A&T has been planning to prepare for this drill for several months.

In a larger effort to reach students, A&T also tested the emergency alarm sirens yesterday at approximately 2 p.m., and sent out a test text message on the AggieAlert system. A&T also placed two videos on the homepage entitled “Shots fired on Campus: When Lighting Strikes,” and “Shots fired in the Workplace: When lightning strikes.” Both of the videos detail what people should do if they ever find themselves in a situation involving an active shooter.

The University says that even though all students, faculty, and staff will be involved in the classes will not be cancelled and regular business will continue, as this will not affect any normal operations. The only students specifically involved are those that have already volunteered to participate.

• Dexter Mullins