Lawrence takes strides in right direction

Junior track sprinter, running back and liberal studies major, Desmond Lawrence, is making his mark on N.C. A&T’s athletic program. 

The East Carolina transfer says he likes N.C. A&T so far and is enjoying the track program. Although the program is going through some transitions, according to Lawrence, the team and the coaches are getting comfortable with one another. “We all [are] kind of in a little learning process,” said Lawrence.

Lawrence started competing in track in January and has proven to be a great help to the team. According to sophomore Christian Harrison, distance runner, Lawrence leads by example and not once has he had an attitude. “He never puts up half-efforts,” said Harrison. 

Recently, Lawrence hit a turning point that proved his worth to the team. He beat red shirt senior and sprinter, Darryl Williams, in the 100-meter dash. According to Lawrence, he does not believe beating Williams is a big accomplishment. However, the team is very competitive in practices and meets. “We try and get better each meet so hopefully by the end of the season I can keep improving on my times,” said Lawrence. 

Lawrence likes running and competing against other great athletes. Even if he loses, it is easy for him to shake it off because he is constantly competing with himself. “As long as I am on track with my goals I am pretty good,” said Lawrence. 

Lawrence’s ultimate goal is to run a 10.3 or lower in the 100-meter dash. “I think I can do it and he [Coach Ross] thinks I can do it, so I think it will happen hopefully pretty soon,” said Lawrence. 

Lawrence enjoys being coached by Ross and believes Ross is a good track coach for the team. “I think he is going to build some good teams in the future,” said Lawrence. 

Although Lawrence was not able to play much football last semester, he is excited to play this coming season. Track helps him with football because it serves as speed training. Not getting much playing time this season helped teach Lawrence the importance of work ethic. “Working hard in practice, not complaining and just doing everything to the best of your abilities,” said Lawrence. 

Lawrence started playing football around the age of seven. What encouraged him to start playing was watching his older brother play along with NFL Hall of Famer, Marshall Faulk. 

“He was in the spotlight at that age so I looked up to him,” said Lawrence. He has not set any goals yet for the football team’s upcoming season, but he cannot wait to start the season to be able to create and achieve his goals. 

As far as track is concerned, Lawrence started running his sophomore year of high school. In 2009, he won the North Carolina 4A state title in the 55-meter dash. He then moved on to take the national high school title in the 60-meter dash. He has always been fast so track came easy to him. “I did not have to start training seriously until I got to college,” said Lawrence. 

In both track and football, Lawrence is not superstitious and does not have a regular routine that he follows before a track meet or football game. However, he does say a prayer before each meet and game. He also tries to stay relaxed before matches in both sports. He believes it is best to run relaxed because if one runs stressed they are not going to run to the best of their ability, the same goes for football. 

“It’s a lot more thinking involved. You have to remember assignments and plays but you also need to be ready,” said Lawrence.

Lawrence has learned that one has to have discipline and compete well in order to excel in colegiate sports. He also believes participating in both sports has helped him develop leadership skills and learn how to work with different types of personalities. 

Upon graduation, Lawrence would like to take his athletics abilities to the next level. “Whether it be football or track, [I want to] take it as far as it can go.”

—Email her at [email protected] and follow The Register on Twitter @TheATRegister

• Uniqua Quillins, Register Reporter